• View arctic wildlife, such as polar bears, walrus and reindeer • Enjoy all the adventure of an arctic expedition in less than a week • Cruise in a Zodiac to get up close to glaciers, fjords, icebergs and more • Hike the colorful tundra • Take advantage of kayaking options
Pack in all the excitement of an epically long arctic cruise into only six days. Yes, in less than a week, you'll cruise through the pack ice up to 80 degrees north along the west coast of Spitsbergen like an explorer of long ago, on a constant search for wildlife. Though this rocky island is covered in mountains and glaciers, the towering cliffs and fjords play host to a surprisingly thriving and varied ecosystem. Exploring as much of the area as possible will provide optimal opportunities to spot the most iconic of iconic arctic wildlife, the polar bear.
Ocean Adventurer formerly Sea Adventurer The Ocean Adventurer is a comfortable vessel with spacious cabins, which all have private bathroom facilities and exterior views. Designed to carry travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world.
Ocean Adventurer was built in 1976, and will undergo extensive upgrades in 2017. This multi-million dollar investment includes renovations to the interior of the ship, significant technical upgrades, and the addition of a new cabin category, the Owner's Suites. The refurbishment will give the ship new bathrooms in every cabin, and upgrades to the Lounge, Dining Room, gym, and suites. Technical enhancements - including two new engines, generators, gear boxes, drive systems, and re-bladed propellers - will result in increased fuel efficiency, and a minimized carbon footprint.
Day 1: Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen, Norway Your Spitsbergen adventure begins when you board your ship in Longyearbyen, the island's largest settlement. As you embark, you'll enjoy great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this seaside village.
Days 2 to 5: Exploring Spitsbergen You'll sail around this magical island, constantly searching for polar bears and other natural wonders. Covering western Spitsbergen as well as outlying islands to the north, your expedition will afford ample opportunities to view immense glaciers, deep fjords, soaring mountains and unique flora and fauna.
Sailing north into Krossfjord, have your camera handy, ready to capture some of the best calving in Spitsbergen. Deep in the fjord, the highly active Lilliehook Glacier awaits. Listen in awe to the growling as big chunks break off into the icy waters below. A Zodiac excursion to nearby Ny London, an abandoned mining settlement, provides an ideal place for a guided walk. Encounters with wildlife, such as the indigenous Svalbard reindeer, are possible here.
After cruising overnight, wake up to the stunning sight of the magnificent Monaco Glacier, another prolific iceberg producer. As if that isn't thrilling enough, your Expedition Team will also be on the lookout for belguas and other marine mammals. Possible landing sites include Texas Bar, Worsleyneset and the Andoyane Islands (where polar bears have been known to roam). At 80 degrees north, you'll reach a walrus sanctuary on the tiny, crescent-shaped Moffen Island. Watching large groups of these lumbering giants jockeying for space is an unforgettable experience, so be ready with your binoculars.
The abandoned settlement of Smeerenburg (which means "blubber town") was established by Dutch whalers nearly 400 years ago. Here, at one of Europe's most northerly outposts, you'll have time to explore ashore and learn about Spitsbergen's whaling history. Afterwards, cruising to Magdalenafjord rewards you panoramic vistas of snow-capped mountains and massive glaciers reflected in the crystal-clear waters.
During your last full day of your arctic adventure, the options are open. You may visit the Russian mining town of Barentsburg, home of the world's northernmost brewery, or Trygghamma, where you may have the chance to walk on a glacier. Round out the day in Alkehornet, taking in the towering cliffs teeming with nesting seabirds, such as fulmars, guillemots and thick-billed murres. Encounters with reindeer might be possible here. Later, in the evening, swap stories with your shipmates and crew one last time, at the captain's dinner.
Day 6: Depart Longyearbyen The time to say goodbye has come. Your adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we'll transfer you to the airport for your flight home.
Important Reminder Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy - and excitement - of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you'll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board • All shore landings per the daily program • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • Official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person • Arrival transfer from Longyearbyen airport to your hotel if you arrive one day prior to embarkation • Transfer from your hotel or Longyearbyen airport to the ship on embarkation day • Group transfer from the ship to Longyearbyen airport or a designated drop-off location downtown on disembarkation day
Pricing (per person) $USD
2018 Jul 22
Booking conditions • Other categories of cabin available on request
• Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
• Please contact World Journeys for the updated US exchange rate.
• Other categories of cabin available on request • Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply. • Please contact World Journeys for the updated US exchange rate.
Not included • International airfare
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Optional kayaking activities
• International airfare • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above • Meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended • Excess-baggage fees on international flights • Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Phone and Internet charges • Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Additional overnight accommodation • Optional kayaking activities
Gratuity • Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. If you are pleased with the service on board, we recommend that you tip US$10 to US$15 per person per day,
• Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. If you are pleased with the service on board, we recommend that you tip US$10 to US$15 per person per day,
Save up to 15% on select departures in 2018
Book by 28 February 2018 to enjoy savings of between 10% and 15% on select departures in Jul 2018. Savings vary per departure, per vessel and per cabin category. Contact World Journeys for current availability. Offer is not combinable with any other promotion, except Shackleton Club; referral and past passenger discounts. Applies to voyage only; cabins limited. Not applicable on transfer package, land-based programs, Adventure Options, additional hotel accommodation, pre/post tours, insurance, flights, or group bookings. Quark has the right to limit, change or discontinue promotion at any time without notice. Excludes triple cabins and owner suites on all ships. No cash value.