Farewell Harbour Lodge
The lodge is located in Farewell Harbour on Berry Island on 10 acres of beautifully forested land. With the exception of the lodge property and 3 adjoining acreages, Berry Island is within the border of world renowned Broughton Archipelago Marine Park, which is located between Vancouver Island and the mainland of British Columbia with Queen Charlotte Strait to the west and Knight Inlet to the east. Farewell Harbour is a beautiful protected anchorage along the famed inside passage route to Alaska and we may see the twinkling anchor lights of a few yachts moored further out in the bay in the evenings.
The primary lodge building and common area features a comfortable lounge and dining room, bar and a large brick fireplace surrounded by large windows and a wrap around deck boasting spectacular views of the harbour with its south and west exposure (great sunsets!). The expansive decks continue as a boardwalk along the shore, leading to eight, private oceanside suites with ensuite bathrooms, a wood stove and 2 queen size beds. A ramp leads off the main lodge to our floating lodge (formerly Bones Bay Lodge) below featuring four additional suites each with a private bathroom for twelve rooms in total.
All lodge suites and common areas have unique design features incorporating natural cedar and local materials and art from the area that offer a distinctive, relaxing 'west coast' feel. An oceanside hot tub sits on the boardwalk between the lodge and guest suites.
Day 1: Vancouver > Farewell Harbour Lodge Fly Vancouver to Port Hardy, and transfer by shuttle to Alder Bay. Depart Alder Bay aboard our high speed water taxi for the scenic 25 minute service to Farewell Harbour. Greet Farewell Harbour Lodge staff at the dock. Check in, receive welcome orientation and welcome appetizers. Relax, you're here! After settling into accommodations, join an afternoon tour in search of marine wildlife in the waters of the famous Johnstone Strait and Robson Bight Ecological Reserve. Return to the lodge by 6:00 pm. Buffet dinner at 7:00 pm, followed by next day activity briefing. Evening presentation at 8:00 pm on some aspect of coastal ecology.
Day 2: Farewell Harbour Lodge After breakfast, meet on the dock at 8:00 am for first full day bear viewing adventure to one of our main grizzly viewing estuaries! Our bear viewing takes us to one of several estuaries where we view either from a zodiac or on foot depending on the tide. We do not use viewing platforms, preferring to view wildlife at eye level in their natural habitat. Return by 6:00 pm; buffet dinner at 7:00 pm followed by evening presentation on some aspect of Great Bear Rainforest, Bears or First Nations culture.
Day 3: Farewell Harbour Lodge 7:00 am breakfast, then on the water at 8:00 am for your choice of another bear viewing safari or a more extensive exploration of the the incredibly rich waters of Johnstone Strait and the Robson Bight Ecological Reserve. Orcas typically return to these waters mid July although Humpbacks and other marine life can often be seen in May and June. Return by 6:00 pm for dinner and evening programme.
Day 4: Farewell Harbour Lodge > Vancouver Choose from one of the following options: A short morning sea kayak excursion in the protected and crystalline waters near Farewell Harbour Lodge, a marine excursion or a guided interpretive rainforest hike.
Return to the lodge for the return water taxi back to Alder Bay. Transfer by shuttle to the Port Hardy Airport for your return flight to Vancouver.
• Round-trip airfare from Vancouver to Port Hardy • Complimentary round-trip shuttle from Port Hardy Airport to Alder Bay • Round-trip water taxi from Alder Bay to Farewell Harbour Lodge • 3 nights accommodations with private ensuite and shower • Welcome briefing and orientation to the tours, viewing opportunities and facilities • All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and snacks starting with dinner on day 1 and ending with lunch on day 4. Wine with dinner is complimentary • Non-alcoholic beverages • All transportation on all wildlife excursions • Marine tour excursion on arrival day • One full day excursion to one of our grizzly viewing areas • One full day on marine tour excursion • Half day optional excursion for bear viewing, marine tour or sea kayaking on departure day • Evening guide presentations/slide shows
Pricing (per person) $NZD
Departs 2018 Departures
16 May - 7 Oct
Booking conditions • Minimum child age is 10 years old
• Child rates apply to children aged 10 to 16 years when sharing with 2 adults
• A 20% non-refundable deposit is required at time of booking
• Please note that there is a $250 change fee for reservation date changes or name changes
• Minimum child age is 10 years old • Child rates apply to children aged 10 to 16 years when sharing with 2 adults • A 20% non-refundable deposit is required at time of booking • Please note that there is a $250 change fee for reservation date changes or name changes
Not included • Items of a personal nature while at the lodge (laundry, alcoholic beverages except wine with dinner)
• Items of a personal nature while at the lodge (laundry, alcoholic beverages except wine with dinner)
Gratuity • Gratuities for staff are not included (recommended CAD$30 per day per guest for duration of stay)
• Gratuities for staff are not included (recommended CAD$30 per day per guest for duration of stay)