Antarctic Express Crossing the Circle
Check off a travel milestone by crossing the Antarctic Circle. Maximize your adventure by skipping the ocean transit and flying over the Drake Passage by charter plane. A short, comfortable flight from Punta Arenas, Chile, to King George Island in Antarctica has you with boots on the ground, overtaken by the sheer magnitude of the Seventh Continent. Fully immersed in the Antarctic environment, you'll experience a roller coaster of emotions, from excitement to awe, from exquisite solitude to incredible gratitude for the wonder of it all.
Simply combine the Crossing the Circle: Southern Expedition itinerary with a direct round-trip flight from Chile to your polar-ready ship, to get our Antarctic Express: Crossing the Circle voyage. Then, explore the wonders of the Antarctic Peninsula by sea, and continue further to reach 66 33 south. Check other achievements off your bucket list as well, such as sea kayaking through channels dotted with icebergs. You may go in search of whales and find yourself bearing witness to a glacier calving. Or, you might plan to climb one more peak for a better vantage point and find yourself in a rookery of curious penguins. Antarctica will leave you in awe, but it won't leave you unchanged.
Highlights Include: • Fly over the Drake Passage landing in the South Shetland Islands • Cross the Antarctic Circle • Learn about the glaciology, history and wildlife of the region • Enjoy zodiac exploration in search of whales and icebergs • Walk on beaches dotted with penguins
Your Ship: The vessels in Quark Expeditions fleet accommodation anywhere from 128 to 199 passengers. They never exceed more than 200 passengers which gives guests the best polar experience on a smaller ship. Quark Expeditions boasts the largest polar-class fleet of any polar operator, and the ability to offer you this incredible voyage on one of their ice strengthened vessels. The entire Quark Expeditions fleet is built for challenging polar environments, allowing Quark to take you to places ordinary cruise companies wouldn't dream of going.
Ocean Adventurer: A long been a favourite among guests with ample outdoor deck space, numerous cosy spots to socialize onboard, plus the outdoor jacuzzi. In 2017, Ocean Adventurer underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation including a completely remodelled lounge, dining room and bar, and new en-suite bathroom facilities. Guests: 128
Day 1: Punta Arenas, Chile Your adventure begins in Punta Arenas, Chile, the most populated city in Patagonia. If you arrive early, there are many museums, restaurants and shops to keep you busy for days. By early afternoon, a Quark Expeditions representative will meet all passengers at the official starting point hotel, where you'll enjoy a welcome dinner and be briefed about preparing for your embarkation day.
Day 2: Embarkation Day Your charter flight from Punta Arenas to Antarctica will have you crossing the legendary Drake Passage in only a few hours. Far below, the ship is approaching King George Island for your arrival. Your first glimpse of dramatic Antarctica landscapes will be from a very unique perspective, as your plane descends for landing in the South Shetlands. After landing, stretch your legs and spend some time exploring the island before being transferred by Zodiac to your ship. Meet the rest of your shipmates and set sail for the Antarctic Peninsula!
Days 3 to 5: Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands There are few places in the world as evocative as Antarctica. As your ship approaches the White Continent, you may be overcome by feelings of excitement and awe. Much of Antarctica is indescribable and can only be fully appreciated through your own eyes. As your Captain and Expedition Team keep a lookout for whales and seabirds, you'll be alerted to any new sightings. Our team of expert lecturers will also provide in-depth explanations of the glaciology, history and wildlife of the region.
Even more exciting are your land excursions. Your first Zodiac landing is something you'll never forget! Walking on a beach dotted with penguins is the most intimate way to experience the unique wildlife of Antarctica. Each landing is different and dependent on weather, but every day presents new sightings and photo opportunities, and it won't be long before you can tell the difference between an Adélie, gentoo and chinstrap penguin.
You may take a Zodiac cruise in search of whales and icebergs one day, followed by a hike to a penguin rookery the next day. From the booming sound of a calving glacier to the thrill of spotting apex predators like leopard seals and killer whales in action, you'll wake up early and welcome each day with a sense of adventure and a desire to explore this unrivaled travel experience. Your Expedition Team will accompany you along the way, ensuring safety and providing insights into the places you visit.
Days 6 & 7: Antarctic Circle Crossing the Antarctic Circle is both a memorable experience and impressive achievement, as few travelers reach so far south. If conditions allow us to cross this famed line at 66Â°33Â´ S, we'll toast the first explorers who ventured here, and you can raise a glass and take pride in knowing you've made it to a part of the world visited by very few people. This is raw Antarctica, home of the midnight sun, Weddell seals, and your best chances of encountering sea ice "“ the foundation of the Antarctic marine ecosystem.
Days 8 & 9: Northbound along the Peninsula If you haven't had your fill of Antarctic wildlife and icebergs by now, you'll surely be satisfied by the time you return to King George Island. You will continue to explore by Zodiac or on land as you travel north along the western Antarctic Peninsula.
Your Expedition Team will always be on the lookout for species of seabirds, seals and whales that may have eluded you on your journey south.
Day 10: Disembarkation and Fly to Punta Arenas After your week of exploration, you'll say goodbye to your Expedition Team and disembark at King George Island. Your two-hour flight across the Drake Passage to Punta Arenas, Chile, brings your adventure to an end. After your group transfer to the hotel, you are free to explore and enjoy an evening on your own, in the city or at the hotel to reminisce about the sights and sounds of Antarctica.
Day 11: Depart Punta Arenas After breakfast, you are welcome to continue on your own travels or make your way to the Punta Arenas airport for your homeward flights.
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy, and excitement, of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that we can achieve everything we set out to accomplish. A measure of flexibility is something all of us must bring to a voyage. There are nearly 200 recognized sites in the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands and the places mentioned above may be changed to others equally as interesting.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches and dinners on board throughout your voyage • All shore landings per the daily program • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled • Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage • A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency Evacuation Insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person • All flights to or from Antarctica as specified in the itinerary • Pre-night hotel in Punta Arenas with breakfast included • Group transfers between the hotel and airport in conjunction with the charter flight • Group transfer to hotel upon arrival in Punta Arenas • A briefing dinner on arrival day to prepare you for your trip • One night post-expedition hotel accommodation in Punta Arenas with breakfast included
Pricing (per person) $USD
Booking conditions Other categories of cabin available on request. Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveler taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
Other categories of cabin available on request. Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveler taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
Not included • Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes
• Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
• Excess baggage charges
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Telecommunications charges
• The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes • Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance • Excess baggage charges • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Telecommunications charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
Gratuity Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Early booking offer: • Up to 25% savings on Standard Cabins & 30% on Premium Cabins • Valid on select voyages & departures between Oct 2021 - Mar 2023.
Additional full payment bonus: • 10% saving on voyages departing 1 Feb 2022 - 31 Mar 2022 • 15% saving on voyages departing 1 Apr 2022 - 31 Mar 2023. • Full payment must be received no later than 30 days after the booking is confirmed.
Offers are valid for new bookings made by 31 May 2021 and applies to the voyage fare only, subject to availability.
Please contact World Journeys for up to date details, terms and conditions at the time of booking.