Spitsbergen Explorer: Wildlife Capital of the Arctic
This Quark Expedition Cruise gives you even more chances to connect with unique Arctic wildlife. The archipelago is home to the iconic polar bear, as well as whales, walrus, Svalbard reindeer and tens of thousands of seabirds. Exploring the tundra is a breathtaking experience - the natural beauty of the landscape is exhilarating, surprisingly colorful and so striking. See the best that Spitsbergen has to offer you via the western edge of the island, plus a few outlying northern regions.
The Arctic has been inspiring explorers for centuries, and these expeditions offer the chance for you to discover why.
Highlights Include: • Encounter iconic arctic wildlife, such as polar bears, walrus and reindeer • Take advantage of continuous daylight • Hike the tundra and explore the polar desert • Cruise in a Zodiac to explore glaciers, fjords, icebergs and more • Immerse yourself in the icy realm of the Arctic with optional kayaking adventures
Your Ship: The vessels in Quark Expeditions fleet accommodation anywhere from 128 to 199 passengers. They never exceed more than 200 passengers which gives guests the best polar experience on a smaller ship. Quark Expeditions boasts the largest polar-class fleet of any polar operator, and the ability to offer you this incredible voyage on one of their ice strengthened vessels. The entire Quark Expeditions fleet is built for challenging polar environments, allowing Quark to take you to places ordinary cruise companies wouldn't dream of going.
Ultramarine: The newest ship in the Quark Expeditions fleet, Ultramarine is equipped with two twin-engine helicopters and offers guests the most robust portfolio of adventure activities in the industry and the most spacious suites in its category. Ultramarine also features breathtaking public spaces, and more outdoor wildlife viewing spaces than other expedition ships its size. Guests: 199
Ocean Adventurer: A long been a favourite among guests with ample outdoor deck space, numerous cosy spots to socialize onboard, plus the outdoor jacuzzi. In 2017, Ocean Adventurer underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation including a completely remodelled lounge, dining room and bar, and new en-suite bathroom facilities. Guests: 128
Day 1: Arrive in Oslo, Norway Your Arctic voyage begins in Oslo, Norway's vibrant capital city. If you arrive early, there are many museums, restaurants and green spaces to keep you busy before retiring to your included airport hotel.
Day 2: Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen, Svalbard This morning, the group will transfer to the airport and board our private charter flight to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen's largest settlement, where you'll have some time to explore before embarkation. As your ship sets sail, enjoy your first view of the island's rugged, glacier-topped mountains rising majestically from icy waters.
Days 3 to 11: Exploring Spitsbergen Explore western Spitsbergen as well as stunning fjords and outlying islands to the north. From polar deserts to immense glaciers, the natural landscape here is just as varied as the wildlife. As you cruise around this magical island located above the Arctic Circle, your Expedition Team will constantly be searching for wildlife.
Each expedition presents new opportunities and different weather and ice, so we have no fixed itinerary; however, some of the places we may visit include the 14th of July Glacier, Smeerenburg, Phippsoya, Alkhornet and the Hinlopen Strait. The destinations visited will be selected for optimum wildlife viewing with an appreciation of the history and geology of Spitsbergen. The island offers multiple opportunities for wildlife photography. Spotting polar bears is more likely here than almost anywhere else, as the Svalbard archipelago is one of their preferred hunting areas.
The towering cliffs of Alkefjellet provide homes to thousands of Brunnich's guillemots (thick-billed murres). Coming across a walrus haul-out is a moment you won't soon forget. These giant pinnipeds of the Arctic create quite a noisy scene as each walrus vies for a choice spot of coastline. If you're itching to experience a more intimate view from the water, you can book the sea kayaking or paddling excursion adventure options. In Spitsbergen, there is no shortage of natural beauty. The tundra can be surprisingly colorful in summer, with wildflowers bursting for a taste of sunshine. Each day, you'll see something interesting, whether it is unique arctic wildlife a polar bear resting between hunts, or abandoned sites from centuries ago.
Day 12: Disembark in Longyearbyen and fly to Oslo The time to say goodbye has come. Your Arctic adventure ends as it began, in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we'll transfer you to the airport for your return group charter flight to Oslo.
Important Reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy - and excitement - of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your Expedition Team must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary retails. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you'll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed. By the same token, wildlife encounters as described are expected but not guaranteed. Your Expedition Team will use their considerable experience to seek out wildlife in known habitats, but the presence of any particular species of bird or marine wildlife is not a guarantee.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board • Beer and house wine during dinner • All shore landings per the daily programme • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily programme • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • Official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Complimentary reusable water bottle • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive onboard materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person • Transfers between Longyearbyen town center and port on embarkation and disembarkation day
Mandatory Transfer Package Includes: • One night's pre-expedition hotel night at Oslo airport hotel • Charter flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen • Arrival and departure transfers in Longyearbyen • Charter flight from Longyearbyen to Oslo
Pricing (per person) $USD
23 May 2022
21, 31 May
21, 31 May
Booking conditions • Baggage allowance on charter flight is 20 kg checked-in and 5 kg carry-on.
• Triple Share cabins on request.
• Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
• Please contact World Journeys for the updated US exchange rate.
• Baggage allowance on charter flight is 20 kg checked-in and 5 kg carry-on. • Triple Share cabins on request. • Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply. • Please contact World Journeys for the updated US exchange rate.
Not included • Mandatory Transfer Package
• International airfare
• Arrival and departure transfers in Oslo
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Any Adventure Options
• Mandatory Transfer Package • International airfare • Arrival and departure transfers in Oslo • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above • Meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended • Excess-baggage fees on international flights • Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Phone and Internet charges • Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Additional overnight accommodation • Any Adventure Options
Gratuity • Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
• Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Early booking offer: • Up to25% savings on Standard Cabins & 30% on Premium Cabins • Valid on select voyages & departures between Jun 2021 - Sep 2022.
Additional full payment bonus: • 15% saving on voyages departing between May - Sep 2022 • Full payment must be received no later than 30 days after the booking is confirmed.
Offers are valid for new bookings made by 31 May 2021 and applies to the voyage fare only, subject to availability.
Please contact World Journeys for up to date details, terms and conditions at the time of booking.