Three Arctic Islands: Iceland, Greenland & Spitsbergen
Variety is the spice of this adventure, named one of National Geographic Traveler's 50 Tours of a Lifetime. Check three different Arctic regions off your list, heading above the Arctic Circle to Spitsbergen, in the Svalbard archipelago, to remote East Greenland and ending in Iceland.
The towering cliffs, iconic wildlife, massive glaciers and swaths of untouched tundra of these three Arctic tours de force never cease to impress. The Arctic has been inspiring explorers for centuries, and our expeditions offer the chance for you to discover why.
Highlights include: Experience one of National Geographic Traveler's 50 Tours of a Lifetime, marvel at the glaciers and wildlife of Spitsbergen and East Greenland, hike the tundra and explore a remote fjord-strewn coast of East Greenland, cruise in a Zodiac to explore diverse landscapes and immerse yourself in the icy realm of the Arctic with optional kayaking.
Your Ship: The Quark Expeditions fleet never exceed more than 200 passengers , which gives guests the best polar experience on a smaller ship. Their ice strengthened vessels are built for challenging polar environments, which takes you to places ordinary cruise companies wouldn't dream of going.
Ocean Adventurer: A long been a favourite among guests with ample outdoor deck space, numerous cosy spots to socialize onboard, plus the outdoor jacuzzi.
Day 1: Oslo, Norway Your arctic adventure begins in Oslo, where you may arrive at any time during Day 1 of your itinerary. Upon arriving in this splendid capital city, known for its green spaces and museums, you will check into your included airport hotel.
Day 2: Embarkation day in Longyearbyen, Svalbard After breakfast, the group will transfer to the airport and board a private charter flight to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen's largest settlement. As you embark this afternoon, you'll enjoy great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this seaside town.
Days 3 - 6: Exploring Spitsbergen, Svalbard Exploring Spitsbergen, the largest island of the Norwegian Svalbard archipelago, rewards you with abundant wildlife and austere beauty. Here, you'll visit spectacular glacier fronts and steep walled fjords, with walrus, polar bears and Svalbard reindeer amongst your possible wildlife sightings. Birders will be thrilled to see arctic terns, skuas, long tailed ducks, kittiwakes and ivory gulls. If conditions allow, you could sail within 10 degrees of the North Pole!
Days 7 & 8: At Sea While sailing south through the Greenland Sea, your Expedition Team will teach you about the wildlife and history of Greenland, your next stop. On deck, you'll learn to identify seabirds on the wing. Take in a lecture, share your photos, sip an icy cocktail in the bar or watch a movie - there are many things to do during your time at sea.
Days 9 - 12: Exploring East Greenland During your tour of Greenland's remote eastern coast, you'll enjoy Zodiac cruises and shore visits to several locations. Explore the remains of ancient Thule settlements and keep an eye out for grazing muskoxen - 40 percent of the world's muskoxen population lives here. Finally, you will sail through spectacular Scoresbysund, the birthplace of many icebergs and, some say, the most beautiful fjord system in the world.
Days 13 & 14: At Sea As you cruise south, the Denmark Strait is your pathway toward Iceland. Your Expedition Team will keep you informed and entertained with presentations about the history of exploration in the Arctic and the seabirds you'll see soaring above your ship.
Day 15: Reykjavik, Iceland You'll disembark in Reykjavik, Iceland's capital, at the end of your journey. If you have booked post-expedition accommodation, a transfer is provided to a central downtown location.
Important Reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy - and excitement - of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you'll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board • Beer and house wine during dinner • All shore landings per the daily programme • Leadership throughout the voyage by your experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily programme • Formal and informal presentations by your Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • Official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Complimentary reusable water bottle • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive onboard materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person • Group transfer to downtown Reykjavik on disembarkation day • Greenland voyages cruise passenger tax
Mandatory Transfer Package Includes: • One night's pre-expedition hotel night at Oslo airport hotel, with breakfast • Charter flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen • Arrival transfer in Longyearbyen
Pricing (per person) $USD
2022 26 Aug 2023 26 Aug
Booking conditions • Baggage allowance on charter flight is 20 kg checked and 5 kg carry-on
• Single cabin prices available on request
• Baggage allowance on charter flight is 20 kg checked and 5 kg carry-on • Single cabin prices available on request
Not included • International airfare
• Arrival transfer in Oslo
• Airport transfer in Reykjavik
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Any Adventure Option
• International airfare • Arrival transfer in Oslo • Airport transfer in Reykjavik • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above • Meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended • Excess-baggage fees on international flights • Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Phone and Internet charges • Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Additional overnight accommodation • Any Adventure Option
Gratuity • Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise
• We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board
• Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise • We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board
Early booking offers for cruises departing in 2022 & 2023
Early booking offer: • Up to 25% savings on select voyages for departures between May 2022 - Sep 2023. • Subject to availability.
Additional full payment bonus: • 10% saving on select voyages departing 1 Oct 2022 - 31 Mar 2023 • Full payment must be received no later than 30 days after the booking is confirmed.
Offers are valid for new bookings made by 5 Jan 2022 and applies to the voyage fare only. Please contact World Journeys for up to date details, terms and conditions at the time of booking.