Calgary • Helicopter Tour • Banff • Lake Louise • Yoho National Park • Athabasca Falls • Icefields Parkway • Jasper • Rocky Mountaineer Railtour to Vancouver • Grizzly Bear viewing at Knight Inlet Lodge
This is a truly captivating journey through the best of Canada's west. Travel from the Western Culture of Calgary to Yoho National Park and view some of its natural wonders including the Spiral Tunnels, Emerald Lake and a natural rock bridge that spans the Kicking Horse River. Enjoy picture-perfect Lake Louise, then take a brief stop at Bow Lake en route to the Athabasca Glacier, taking a ride on an Ice Explorer. Travel one of the most scenic highways in the world, the Icefields Parkway to Jasper National Park, then take a Rocky Mountaineer Railtour passing Pyramid Falls and over the Yellowhead Pass, witnessing the high peaks of the Canadian Rockies. Follow the North Thompson River through the Cariboo and Monashee mountains, with dramatic changes in scenery from the desert-like environment of the interior to the lush green fields of the Fraser River Valley and on to Vancouver.
Enjoy a day at leisure in Vancouver, then head for the wilderness!
Located 80 km north of Campbell River, BC, is a wild and remote area of the Great Bear Rainforest known as Knight Inlet. As the longest fjord on the BC coast, Knight Inlet offers visitors spectacular scenery set against a backdrop of dramatic mountain peaks plunging into the Pacific Ocean. Variegated hues of blues and greens seamlessly blend forest, ocean and sky. It can be a place of immense silence in the calm of the temperate rainforest and of immense power in the face of the many thundering glacier-fed waterfalls.
Situated 60 km from the mouth of the inlet is Knight Inlet Lodge. This newly refurbished floating lodge is tucked into Glendale Cove, which offers one of the few protected anchorages in the inlet. The only neighbours are the bears, mountain goats, otters, seals and eagles that all make the inlet their home. The lodge is finished with western cedar board to give it a real west coast British Columbia look and feel. There are 2 outside deck areas, one complete with gas fireplace, for relaxing on those warm summer evenings. The Lodge's 18 guest rooms feature comfortable queen size beds and private washrooms with showers. Guestrooms all have views of either Glendale Cove or the shoreline behind the lodge where it is not uncommon to see bears through your window.
Day 1: Calgary Arrive in Calgary and transfer by private sedan to your hotel.
Day 2: Calgary Spend the day sightseeing in "The Heart of the New West" independently. Admission to the Calgary Tower is included.
Day 3: Calgary > Lake Louise with Panoramic Helicopter Tour Depart Calgary this morning for a full-day tour concluding in Lake Louise. Journey to Kananaskis where you will enjoy the highlight of today, a 12-minute Panoramic Helicopter Tour over the remarkable landscape of the Rockies. Continue on to Banff for a sightseeing tour including Bow Falls, Lake Minnewanka, Surprise Corner and the Hoodoos. Banff Gondola included. Your tour ends on arrival in world famous Lake Louise late this afternoon, where you will overnight at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.
Day 4: Lake Louise > Banff This morning you are free to explore beautiful Lake Louise on your own. After lunch, a half-day tour takes you into Yoho National Park to view some of its natural wonders. Among the attractions are the Spiral Tunnels, Emerald Lake and a natural rock bridge that spans the Kicking Horse River. At the end of the tour you will be transferred to Banff.
Please note: While departure from The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise will be approximately 2:00 p.m., scheduled checkout time is normally 12:00 p.m. Your luggage will be stored upon checkout and you are free to enjoy the amenities of the hotel before the tour departs.
Day 5: Banff > Jasper (L) Enjoy a sightseeing tour of Banff and Jasper National Parks via Lake Louise and the Icefields Parkway. Among the highlights are Bow Lake, the Columbia Icefield, Glacier Skywalk and Athabasca Falls. The Columbia Icefield is one of the largest accumulations of ice south of the Arctic Circle and one of the most accessible ice fields in North America. Here you will ride on an Ice Explorer to the middle of the Athabasca Glacier to learn more about its geological features. Lunch is included at the Columbia Icefield Glacier Discovery Centre. Arrive in Jasper late this afternoon.
Day 6: Jasper Highlights Tour (L) Jasper National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Canadian Rockies' largest national park. Today you will enjoy a scenic half-day tour of some of the park's natural attractions and rugged peaks, and perhaps catch a glimpse of the wildlife that calls this region home.
Day 7: Jasper > Kamloops (B,L) Travel onboard the Rocky Mountaineer from Jasper in the Canadian Rockies to Kamloops, in the heart of British Columbia Interior. As you journey west and south you will be surrounded by the dramatic scenery of the Continental Divide and by the river valleys of the Monashee and Cariboo Mountains. Today's highlights include Mount Robson, Pyramid Falls, the climb over Yellowhead Pass, and the journey along the North Thompson River as you approach Kamloops.
Day 8: Kamloops > Vancouver (B,L) Your journey continues west towards the Pacific Ocean and the coastal city of Vancouver. On today's journey you will again see dramatic changes in scenery, from the desert-like environment of the Interior, through winding river canyons and pristine forests, to the Coast and Cascade Mountains and the lush green fields of the Fraser Valley. Highlights include the steep slopes and rock sheds along the Thompson River and the rushing waters of Hell's Gate in the Fraser Canyon.
Day 9: Vancouver Today you are free to explore Vancouver at leisure. Admission to the Vancouver Lookout is included. Day 10: Vancouver > Campbell River Check out of your hotel and transfer by taxi to the Vancouver International Airport (South Terminal) for a 40-minute flight to Campbell River. Upon arrival, transfer (included) to your overnight accommodation in Campbell River.
Day 11: Campbell River > Knight Inlet Lodge (L,D) This morning, fly 30 minutes by floatplane to Knight Inlet, a remote fjord and natural habitat of the grizzly bear. This afternoon, join a guided wildlife tour in search of grizzly bears and other wildlife that frequent the area.
Day 12: Knight Inlet Lodge > Campbell River > Vancouver Early morning visit to the bear viewing platforms in search of wildlife before returning to Campbell River by floatplane. On arrival, transfer (included) to the local airport for your return flight to Vancouver.
• 2-day Rocky Mountaineer 'Journey through the Clouds' Railtour, Silverleaf Service. • Meals as per itinerary • 11 nights' hotel/lodge accommodation • Private sedan transfer Calgary airport to hotel • Calgary Tower • Calgary to Lake Louise Tour, including Banff Gondola Ride • Panoramic Helicopter Tour • Yoho National Park tour Lake Louise to Banff • Icefield Parkway Tour Banff to Jasper including the Ice Explorer Ride • Jasper Highlights Tour • Vancouver Lookout • Luggage handing and rail station transfers in Jasper, Kamloops and Vancouver • National Park Pass • Taxi transfer Vancouver hotel to Vancouver airport • Return flights Vancouver > Campbell River • Return floatplane Campbell River > Knight Inlet Lodge • All meals and snacks whilst at the lodge, house wine with dinner • Bear and wildlife viewing activities • Scenic boat ride of Glendale Cove • Knight Inlet sightseeing cruise (weather permitting) • Interpretive guide • Rain gear if required • Evening interpretive programme • Gratuities at Knight Inlet Lodge • Environmental Levy
Pricing (per person) $NZD
Departs 2020 departures from Calgary
May 18, 22, 25, 29;
Jun 1, 5, 8, 12, 15, 19, 22, 26, 29
Jul 3, 6, 13, 17, 20, 24, 27, 31
Aug 3, 7, 10, 14, 17, 21, 24, 28, 31
Sep 7, 11, 14, 18, 21, 25, 28
2020 departures from Calgary
May 18, 22, 25, 29;
Booking conditions • Book and pay your deposit by 31 August 2019 to enjoy this special rate
• Pricing varies seasonally, and is subject to change due to currency fluctuations
• Offer is capacity controlled and may be modified, withdrawn or amended without prior notice
• A non-refundable deposit of $800 per person required upon confirmation of booking
• Full payment is required 100 days prior to departure.
• For your Knight Inlet excursion check in baggage allowance is limited to 14kgs per passenger, plus a small carry-on. Other luggage may be stored at your Vancouver hotel
• Book and pay your deposit by 31 August 2019 to enjoy this special rate • Pricing varies seasonally, and is subject to change due to currency fluctuations • Offer is capacity controlled and may be modified, withdrawn or amended without prior notice • A non-refundable deposit of $800 per person required upon confirmation of booking • Full payment is required 100 days prior to departure. • For your Knight Inlet excursion check in baggage allowance is limited to 14kgs per passenger, plus a small carry-on. Other luggage may be stored at your Vancouver hotel
Not included • International airfares from NZ
• Meals, other than specified
• Activities, other than specified
• Gratuities for rail, hotel and transfer staff
• Hotel early check in/late check out
• Mandatory Fuel Surcharge of CAD$29 at Knight Inlet
• International airfares from NZ • Meals, other than specified • Activities, other than specified • Gratuities for rail, hotel and transfer staff • Hotel early check in/late check out • Mandatory Fuel Surcharge of CAD$29 at Knight Inlet
Book by 31 August to enjoy this special rate!
Book and pay your deposit by 31 August 2019 to enjoy this special rate, which is represents a saving of $650 per person! Pricing varies seasonally and is subject to change due to currency fluctuations. Offer is capacity controlled and may be modified, withdrawn or amended without prior notice.