Great Bear Nature Lodge
Enjoy a spectacular Grizzly Bear viewing program based at a floating lodge in the heart of the Great Bear Rain forest. Great Bear Nature Tours is rated by National Geographic Adventure as one of the Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth. Their ecotourism lodge is the ideal base for photography and wildlife viewing tours, nestled at the mouth of a pristine salmon river. With a maximum of sixteen guests, you are assured of a personalized wilderness adventure in this very special area.
From May through October, Great Bear Nature Tours offers world-class wildlife viewing excursions from Port Hardy to the central coast of British Columbia. Known as the Great Bear Rain forest, this area is one of the best places in the world to observe grizzly bears and other wildlife such as wolves, black bears, otters, pine martins, mink and bald eagles.
The floating lodge has eight bedrooms and each bedroom has an en-suite bathroom with a shower. The common area is a comfortable place for relaxing and listening to natural history presentations from the wildlife biologists. The wind and solar powered lodge is in keeping with the commitment to low-impact ecotourism. Natural wood decks surround the lodge, a perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine while enjoying the beauty of the scenery.
Wilderness-gourmet meals await you at the lodge on your return from the wilderness. The freshest local ingredients and organic food is used when it is available. A typical dinner might feature freshly caught salmon roasted on a cedar plank with a marinade of maple syrup, mustard seeds and balsamic vinegar. In between bear viewing sessions you will be able to join a guided activity such as an interpretive walk or a boat excursion, or you may choose to relax with a book from the extensive library. The lodge is happy to cater for all dietary restriction and preferences.
Day 1: Vancouver > Port Hardy > Great Bear Lodge Late this morning depart from Vancouver International Airport (South Terminal) for a 70 minute flight to Port Hardy. Upon arrival transfer (included) to the town of Port Hardy for lunch (own cost) and to explore the town. Mid-afternoon you will be transferred to the floatplane base for your scenic flight over the Queen Charlotte Strait to the floating lodge. After a brief introduction to the lodge you will head out on your first Grizzly excursion.
Day 2: Great Bear Lodge In the morning, you will be on the trail of the Grizzly Bear again after some good coffee and breakfast. A typical viewing session lasts three hours. After a morning of adventure, you will return to the lodge and a chance to relax. Spend the early afternoon exploring the surrounding area with a guide. A popular activity is the interpretive rainforest walk, examining bear signs and the general ecology of the area. Mid-afternoon you will venture out to see the bears before returning to the lodge for dinner. On clear nights, the stars are amazing.
Day 3: Great Bear Lodge As your stay at the lodge continues, you begin to settle into the natural rhythm of the valley. The bears are generally most active in the early morning and late afternoon hours, which is why we focus our viewing sessions on these times. Over the course of your stay we will take you to a variety of sites, depending on the bear activity.
For the afternoon recreation today we may take a guided sea-kayaking tour of the estuary, or a boat cruise to explore the glacier-carved inlet. Or you may prefer to relax and enjoy the view from the lodge. The Great Bear Rainforest is home to many animals, including grey wolves, otters, black bears, mink and bald eagles.
Day 4: Great Bear Lodge > Port Hardy After your parting session with the bears you will enjoy lunch at the Great Bear Lodge. You will be returned to Port Hardy in the afternoon between 4pm and 6pm. Due to unpredictable weather conditions for flights around the lodge and Port Hardy we have included a nights accommodation in Port Hardy.
Day 5: Port Hardy > Vancouver Transfer (not included) mid-morning to Port Hardy Airport for your return flight to Vancouver (South Terminal)
• Independent tour with local guides • Return flight from Vancouver to Port Hardy • 3 nights accommodation in a private room at Great Bear Lodge • 1 night accommodation in Port Hardy (last night) • Interpretive discussion and welcome orientation for wildlife viewing • Morning and afternoon bear viewing sessions, guided by a wildlife biologist • Slide shows & video presentations on local natural history • Wilderness-gourmet meals including complimentary wine & beer with dinner • Transportation to and from the Great Bear Lodge (departing Port Hardy) • Interpretive walks or boat excursions • Rubber boots and rain gear, if required • Binoculars for wildlife viewing • Stewardship fee for bear research in British Columbia • Gratuity for staff • Bear viewing license
Pricing (per person) $NZD
May 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31
Jun 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27,30
Jul 3, 6, 9, 12, 15,18, 21, 24, 27, 30
Aug 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29
Sep 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28
Oct 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16
May 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31
Booking conditions • Tours depart at 3pm from the Port Hardy Seaplane Base or Port Hardy Airport. Tours are scheduled to return to Port Hardy between 4pm-6pm, but can be delayed due to wilderness weather.
• Minimum age 15 years
• Deposit of 50% is required at time of booking.
• Baggage allowance is limited to 30 lbs/14kgs per passenger. Exceptions can be made for photography equipment
• Tours depart at 3pm from the Port Hardy Seaplane Base or Port Hardy Airport. Tours are scheduled to return to Port Hardy between 4pm-6pm, but can be delayed due to wilderness weather. • Minimum age 15 years • Deposit of 50% is required at time of booking. • Baggage allowance is limited to 30 lbs/14kgs per passenger. Exceptions can be made for photography equipment
Not included • Transfer Port Hardy Hotel to Port Hardy Airport
• Fuel surcharges will be added at time of booking.
• Transfer Port Hardy Hotel to Port Hardy Airport • Fuel surcharges will be added at time of booking.