Haida House at Tllaal
Haida Gwaii, formerly known as the Queen Charlotte Islands, is an archipelago of islands off the northwest coast of British Columbia. This 5 day nature and aboriginal culture tour will immerse you into the stunning landscapes and its people. The islands are remote and serene and offer visitors the opportunity to visit pristine rivers, miles of sandy beaches, ancient rainforests which are home to abundant wildlife. The tour celebrates the rich traditions, artisans and history of the Haida people.
The Haida House at Tllaal is a cedar lodge located on the banks of the Tlell River with easy beach access. The lodge features a full service restaurant, bar and patio with river view; nine comfortable guests rooms with private facilities and showers along with a relaxing den with complimentary Wi-Fi.
Day 1: Vancouver > Haida House at Tllaal This morning make your own way to the Vancouver South Terminal to depart on your flight to Sandspit. Upon arrival into Sandspit, transfer to Haida House at Tllaal. (Approximately 1 hour) After check in you will enjoy a short beach and river walk along with an orientation reception before dinner with a cultural guest.
Day 2-4: Haida House at Tllal Over the next three days you will participate in guided activities showcasing the natural environment and the rich culture of the Haida people. Each day begins after breakfast with most activities between 6 to 10 hours in length.
Cultural Day Tour - South End Tour of Graham Island After breakfast you will depart for Skidegate for your Cultural Day Tour. It starts with a scenic drive along the coast to view local attractions. Continue on a narrative drive through Skidegate Village and a stop in Queen Charlotte City which offers yet another perspective of the Island's cultural diversity. Relax with a picnic lunch before transferring to the Kay Llnagaay Heritage Centre in Skidegate for your privately guided tour of the award-winning Centre & Museum. The day wraps up with a stop at a local Haida artisan's home studio and is topped off with a traditional Haida dinner
Adventure Day - Excursion to Skedans on Moresby Island by Zodiac Join your guides for the day from Haida Style Expeditions and transfer to the starting point of your zodiac tour. The main stop on this tour is the Haida Village Site of Skedans, also known as K'uuna Llnagaay (Point Town). One of the Haida Gwaii Watchmen people of Haida descent who care for these fragile sites) will walk you through the site, explaining what the village once looked like, what the figures on the poles are, and how the people lived. On the tour you may also see some abandoned logging camps, marine life, sea birds, moss covered forests, and giant trees. A hearty lunch and snacks will be provided. Note: water excursions are based on weather conditions, visiting an alternative village site may be required. You will be in an open zodiac for several hours and need to dress warmly. In the evening, enjoy a quiet, privately led Master Class with a renowned Haida weaver in the onsite Gathering Room
Cultural Day - North End Tour of Graham Island After breakfast, follow Haida House's resident field naturalist and bird expert on a Magical History Tour through the coastal environment of Southern Naikoon Park. In the late morning, head north to Masset and Old Massett, a Haida Village known for its 18 totem poles each with a unique design, story and history. Your day continues exploring the northern part of Graham Island and includes a visit to the famed North Beach. You will also enjoy a boardwalk hike to the top of Tow Hill where you can take in views of the endless beaches and the Alaskan Islands in the North. After a picnic lunch at Agate Beach, and stops at various local shops, your day continues 30 minutes to the south to the quaint village of Gamadiis-Port Clements, which was once a thriving logging town. It is now known for its Golden Spruce Trail, a gentle 10 minute walk through lush, high green canopy of old-growth forest which leads to the viewpoint of the historic Golden Spruce. Before heading back to the Haida House you can request a short visit at the local Tlell Artisans' studios and gift shops.
Day 5: Haida House at Tllaal > Vancouver Today you will enjoy a final breakfast at Haida House before being transferred to the airport.
• Return flights Vancouver to Masset • 4 night accommodation at Haida House at Tllaal with private bathroom, wireless internet access, guest lounge with complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic beverages • Welcome gift and orientation • All meals from dinner on Day 1 through breakfast on Day 5 including a traditional Haida dinner on your Cultural Day • Haida Cultural Day Tour with private tour of Heritage centre and Museum • An in-home visit of local Haida studios • Photo-op stops at Balance Rock, Jungle Beach, North and South End Totems • Narrative tour of the village of Skidegate and Queen Charlotte • Excursion to Skedans on Moresby Island by Zodiac • Master Class with Haida Weaver • Magical History Tour of the area with a local naturalist • Discover the North Island - Old Massett Tour • Tlell and Port Clements Tour • All ground transport and water transfers to and from activities and airports or ferry terminal on Haida Gwaii
Pricing (per person) $NZD
13 Jun - 19 Sep
2018 Wednesday 13 Jun - 19 Sep
Booking conditions • There is no cell service in Tlell (Wifi available at lodge)
• There are no bank machines in Tlell.
• Minimum 2 people needed for all activities
• A non-refundable deposit of 2,250.00 is required at time of booking
• Full payment due 90 days prior to arrival
• There is no cell service in Tlell (Wifi available at lodge) • There are no bank machines in Tlell. • Minimum 2 people needed for all activities • A non-refundable deposit of 2,250.00 is required at time of booking • Full payment due 90 days prior to arrival
Not included • Meals, unless listed as included
• Alcoholic beverages
• Meals, unless listed as included • Alcoholic beverages • Gratuities
Gratuity • Recommended for gratuities is CAD$30 to CAD$ 40 per person per day.
• Recommended for gratuities is CAD$30 to CAD$ 40 per person per day.