Quintessential Haida Gwaii
The Ocean House is a new eco-cultural floating lodge located on the West Coast of Haida Gwaii in British Columbia. Just 90 minutes from Vancouver, discover the mystical beauty of old-growth forests, dramatic coastlines, expansive beaches and the living culture of the welcoming Haida. Embark on guided excursions to ancient village sites, soar above scenic coastline, and trek amongst towering cedar. Explore the calm waters and spectacular scenery by kayak, boat or paddle board and enjoy local cuisine as memorable as the day's activities.
In addition to the pristine natural surroundings and immersive cultural and wildlife experiences, you'll enjoy lodge amenities including a full-service spa, gym, library, bar and lounge, hot tub, sauna and a gift shop offering local artisan products.
Day 1: Vancouver > Ocean House (B,L,D) Depart Vancouver South Terminal around 7.00 am by a chartered plane (90 mins) and fly into Sandspit from where you will be transferred by a helicopter to the Ocean House. You will be met upon arrival for check-in and an orientation with an Ocean House team member. Enjoy a breakfast buffet before the team discusses the activities that you would like to do over the next 3 days.
The rest of day is at your own leisure and you have the opportunity to choose from the following activities • Discover the beauty of Peel Inlet (guided walk) • Forest-bath and rejuvenate at Security Inlet or Kaisun Village • Kayak / stand-up paddle boarding • Or absorb education opportunities with the Guest Artist
Day 2-3: Exploring the West Coast of Haida Gwaii (B,L,D) Over the next two days you will engage in captivating guided excursions that showcase the magic of the landscapes and the fascinating history and culture of the Haida who have inhabited the islands since time immemorial. Each morning starts with a delicious breakfast and a discussion with your guides to discuss the day ahead.
Included activities you can choose from are:
• Discover the many flora and fauna at Peel Inlet (guided walk) • Forest-bath and rejuvenate at Security Inlet or Kaisun Village • Explore the ancient village of Ts'aahl and its two remaining poles • Kayaking / stand-up paddle boarding • Learning from the Guest Artist
Lunch, snacks, non-alcoholic beverages including tea and coffee will be provided for you to take on your excursion.
The Ocean House is the perfect place to unwind and soak up the tranquil and majestic landscape of Peel Inlet. Relax in our sauna and steam room or book a massage or treatment in our spa [additional costs may apply]. You may also wish to paddle one of the kayaks or stand-up boards to explore the quiet inlet on your own. Throughout the day and in the evenings, enjoy the storytelling and the creation of art from the cultural interpreters or artists in residence. Our Haida guides are the connection to their culture and history, and we encourage you to get up close and learn as much as you desire.
Appetizers are provided in the lounge late afternoons which is a great time to connect with your fellow travelers to share the experiences with one other. Dinners are served in the dining room and our Haida Chef will serve the freshest and local ingredients, and combines tradition with modern cooking techniques. Wine is included with dinner.
Day 4: Ocean House > Vancouver (B) After breakfast, transfer by helicopter from the Ocean House to Sandspit from where you will be transported by a chartered plane (between 9.00 am - 10.00 am) to Vancouver. Arrive back into Vancouver around 1.00 pm.
Please note: Itineraries are dependent on weather, local wildlife, and may vary based on your interests. Adventure plans cannot be confirmed in advance, and all activities are subject to change. Ocean House reserves the right to adjust the itinerary based on these variables.
• Return air from Vancouver to Sandspit • Return helicopter transfer from Sandspit to the Ocean House • 3 Nights accommodations (room with two beds and private ensuite) • Daily meals, snacks and non-alcoholic beverages and complimentary wine with dinners • Welcome gift • Orientation with Cultural Ambassador • Use of sauna, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards • On-site Cultural Interpreter/Guest artist • All local ground transport and water transfers
Float Lodge Amenities: • 12 guest rooms (max 24 guests) • Complimentary wireless Internet access • All guest rooms have an ensuite bathroom and two beds (combination of twins and double beds) • Full service spa, gym, library, bar and lounge, sauna, gift shop with a focus on local artists and artisan products
Pricing (per person) $NZD
31 May - 6 Sep
2020 Sunday 31 May - 6 Sep
Booking conditions • A 40% non-refundable deposit is required prior to booking
• Full payment is required 100 days prior to departure
• Not recommended for children 9 years and under
• All guests will be required to sign an excursion liability waiver upon arrival at the Ocean House
• There is no cellphone service at Peel Inlet (Wifi available at lodge)
• There are no bank machines at Peel Inlet
• Baggage allowance is 11kgs per person plus 2kgs for carry on bag
• Please note the Ocean House is a fly-in lodge (no road access to the lodge)
• A 40% non-refundable deposit is required prior to booking • Full payment is required 100 days prior to departure • Not recommended for children 9 years and under • All guests will be required to sign an excursion liability waiver upon arrival at the Ocean House • There is no cellphone service at Peel Inlet (Wifi available at lodge) • There are no bank machines at Peel Inlet • Baggage allowance is 11kgs per person plus 2kgs for carry on bag • Please note the Ocean House is a fly-in lodge (no road access to the lodge)
Not included • Alcoholic Beverages
• Gratuity for staff
• Alcoholic Beverages • Gratuity for staff
Gratuity • Gratuity for staff recommended CAD$30.00 - CAD$50.00 per guest per day
• Gratuity for staff recommended CAD$30.00 - CAD$50.00 per guest per day