Spirit Bear Lodge
Wildlife, Bear Watching Tours and Native Culture in British Columbia's Great Bear Rainforest
The Great Bear Rainforest of British Columbia is quite simply the largest piece of intact temperate rainforest left on the planet. It is here in the Great Bear Rainforest that the Kitasoo/Xai'xais First Nation has lived since time immemorial. They have shared the forest and the salmon with a very special creature they call Moskgm'ol (white bear).
It is only fitting then that Spirit Bear Lodge is situated in the small, remote Kitasoo/Xai'xais fishing village of Klemtu. Located 150 nautical miles by float plane north of Port Hardy and the northern tip of Vancouver Island, Klemtu is truly in the heart of the rainforest. Nestled in a remote archipelago of small islands and thus protected from the wild Pacific, Klemtu is centrally positioned to offer unparalleled access to some of the best grizzly and Spirit Bear viewing in the region.
Architecturally, the exterior of the Spirit Bear Lodge pays homage to the traditional long houses built for thousands of years by West Coast First Nations. Inside, the atmosphere is modern and relaxing. After a day of bear viewing, share stories with fellow guests in The Great Room; an intimate central room with comfy couches, 20-foot high, ocean view windows, local Tsimshian Art and two 12-foot, solid cedar dining tables. Gaze out towards the grey blue waters of the Pacific Ocean and watch for passing Orcas, White-Sided Dolphins and Sea Lions. Each room in the Spirit Bear Lodge is afforded with a King Size bed and private bathroom and takes full advantage of the ocean and rainforest views.
Grizzly bear viewing and the quest for the Spirit Bear. Opportunities to view the Grizzly bear are quite good as they move from early foraging for roots in the late Spring to savouring wild berries in the Summer before moving on to the great Fall feast during salmon spawning which runs from mid August to late October depending on the river system.
Rainforest Recharge Package: 5 Jun - 31 Jul This is a great time for guests who are looking for more variety in their stay such as kayaking, cultural tours, hiking, etc. Bear-viewing during this time is mainly of grizzly bears feeding on sedge grass, as the salmon run has not begun. This is the perfect time to see cubs at their smallest, lush green landscapes and full waterfalls!
Wild Summer Package: 7 Aug - 28 Aug August is when the bears sniff the beginning of the great salmon feast. The salmon begin to school in greater numbers at the entrances to the rivers, waiting for that perfect combination of mysterious factors that cue them to swim up river and spawn. Although spirit bears can be seen anytime after they emerge from their dens in early spring, August is when you will typically get your first good sightings.
Fill & Thrill Package: 4 Sep - 9 Oct A feeding frenzy for wildlife! Eagles, seals, sea lions, wolves, whales and bears fill up on salmon for the long winter ahead. Highly recommended for guests who want to give themselves the best possible opportunity to view spirit bear.
Day 1: Vancouver > Spirit Bear Lodge Depart Vancouver South Terminal on Pacific Coastal Airlines scheduled 2 hour afternoon service to Bella Bella. Arrive mid-afternoon and transfer to the boat dock to continue on for your 90 minute water taxi ride to Spirit Bear Lodge in Klemtu. Upon arrival you will receive a welcome orientation followed by dinner and an evening presentation on the coastal ecology.
Day 2: Spirit Bear Lodge After breakfast, meet at the dock and gear up for your first full day bear viewing adventure to one of the main grizzly viewing estuaries. See the spectacular waterfalls in Carter Inlet. Return early evening for dinner followed by an evening presentation of the Great Bear Rainforest, Bears or First Nations culture.
Day 3: Spirit Bear Lodge After breakfast, meet at the dock and gear up for another full day bear viewing adventure, this time on foot in one of the Spirit Bear Rivers. Return early evening for dinner followed by an evening programme.
Day 4: Spirit Bear Lodge > Vancouver After breakfast, choice of morning sea-kayak paddle along the shores south of Klemtu, rainforest walk or cultural tour. Late morning, board the water taxi for your 90 minute trip to Bella Bella arriving in time to catch an afternoon flight back to Vancouver arriving early evening.
• Return airfare from Vancouver to Bella Bella and shuttle to Bella Bella dock • Round trip water taxi from Bella Bella dock to Lodge • 3 nights' accommodation at Spirit Bear Lodge • Welcome briefing and orientation • All meals and snacks while at Spirit Bear Lodge beginning with dinner (Including wine and beer) on arrival day and ending with lunch on final day • Professional guides services on all programmes • Day excursion and transportation to main grizzly viewing area • Evening guide presentation/slide show • Evening Big House interpretive tour • Your choice of full day wildlife viewing adventures: Wildlife / Bear Viewing, Kayaking, Hiking, Canoeing, Cultural Site visit • Half day Wildlife / Bear Viewing on departure day • Coastal Watchman Programme user fee
Pricing (per person) $NZD
5 Jun - 9 Oct
2020 Departs Friday 5 Jun - 9 Oct
Booking conditions • Prices for Triple share and Children(aged 12-16 years) available on request
• A 25% non-refundable deposit is required prior to booking Luggage Restrictions
• Check-in baggage allowance is limited to two checked pieces at 23 kgs per bag per passenger
• Cabin baggage is limited to one Standard Article (23cm x 40cm x 55cm) at 10kgs per passenger
• Additional fees for any excess baggage
• Prices for Triple share and Children(aged 12-16 years) available on request • A 25% non-refundable deposit is required prior to booking
Luggage Restrictions • Check-in baggage allowance is limited to two checked pieces at 23 kgs per bag per passenger • Cabin baggage is limited to one Standard Article (23cm x 40cm x 55cm) at 10kgs per passenger • Additional fees for any excess baggage
Not included • Gratuities - recommended CAD 50.00 per day per guest
• Gratuities - recommended CAD 50.00 per day per guest