Spitsbergen In Depth: Big Islands, Big Adventure
• Encounter arctic wildlife such as polar bears, walrus, reindeer • View numerous arctic bird species, like puffins, arctic terns and purple sandpipers • Explore glaciers, fjords, icebergs and more with included Zodiac cruising • Immerse yourself in the icy realm of the Arctic with optional kayaking adventures • Hike the tundra and polar desert
The 14-day Spitsbergen in Depth: Big Island, Big Adventure itinerary offers the most extensive exploration of Spitsbergen while experiencing all the adventure the island has to offer. This is one of the best regions to see polar bears, walrus and reindeer; plus, the impressive 14th of July Glacier and Alkefjellet cliff are both birdwatching utopias. You'll also get a glimpse of 16th-century whaling culture at secluded landing sites. This route may include visiting the northernmost Svalbard island of Nordaustlandet if conditions allow.
The Arctic has been inspiring explorers for centuries, and our expeditions offer the chance for you to discover why. We're excited to host you on your unforgettable adventure! Feel free to reach out to our team of Polar Travel Advisers or your travel professional, who can answer your questions and provide assistance at any time.
World Explorer The newest addition to the Quark Expeditions Arctic fleet, polar powerhouse World Explorer - our first all-suites, all-balcony ice-class ship - lets you discover everything the Arctic has to offer, with the type of service available only at premium hotels. World Explorer also delivers plenty of areas, both inside and out, to witness the incredible arctic wildlife or simply watch the world go by, including a spacious observation deck for taking in sights outdoors, an observation lounge with panoramic skyline views, a library for intimate relaxing and reading, and the Explorer Lounge for a drink and a chat. Presentations and discussions are held in a dedicated lecture theater. Health and wellness facilities feature an outdoor running track, small gym and spa, plus a heated outdoor swimming pool. With its new and environmentally sustainable hybrid technology and state of-the-art Rolls-Royce engines and generators, the ship also boasts reduced fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.
Ocean Adventurer Our popular ship Sea Adventurer has been relaunched as Ocean Adventurer after a multimillion-dollar renovation. A team of marine architects, engineers, interior designers and polar expedition specialists worked together to enhance this nimble and intimate fleet favorite. Upgrades include a refreshed look and feel throughout, plus the complete remodeling of the lounge, dining room and bar. All cabins received new linens and bathroom updates. Six new deluxe cabins as well as three new suites have also been added. Major technical enhancements include two new Rolls-Royce engines, which yield increased speed and fuel efficiency, and a minimized carbon footprint.
Day 1: Arrive in Oslo, Norway Your arctic voyage begins in Oslo, Norway's vibrant capital city. If you arrive early, there are many museums, restaurants and green spaces to keep you busy before retiring at your included airport hotel.
Day 2: Embarkation day in Longyearbyen, Svalbard This morning, the group will transfer to the airport and board our private charter flight to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen's largest settlement, where you'll have some time to explore before embarkation. As your ship sets sail, enjoy your first view of the island's rugged, glacier-topped mountains rising majestically from icy waters.
Day 3 to Day 13: Exploring Spitsbergen Expect a new adventure every day as we begin our circumnavigation by heading north and around the island of Spitsbergen, exploring smaller, outlying islands. We plan to circumnavigate Spitsbergen, but if conditions are favorable, we will also attempt a circumnavigation of the whole Svalbard archipelago. Every expedition will be different, depending on the weather and ice, but some of the places we may visit include the 14th of July Glacier, Ny London, Phippsoya, Alkefjellet and the seldom-visited Kvitoya.
These names may seem strange to you, but each site has its own unique appeal. There is no shortage of natural beauty in Spitsbergen, where colorful tundra meadows are complemented by immense glaciers. For birders, the 14th of July Glacier is home to puffins, purple sandpipers, common eiders, barnacle geese and arctic terns, while Alkefjellet's cliffs are teeming with nesting Brunnich's guillemots (thick-billed murres). Always on the lookout for wildlife, be sure to have your camera ready to capture reindeer when we visit sites like Ny London, Sundneset and Alkhornet. Searching for the iconic polar bear is a constant activity for your Expedition Team. Phippspoya and Isbukta are two of the bears' preferred places for hunting, which translates into great potential for you to view and capture them in action.
A big part of appreciating Spitsbergen comes from understanding the culture - not just how people live today, but also how this land was first explored. Whaling was a key industry, and you will see remains of outposts from the 16th century, plus other evidence of whaling at landing sites such as Smeerenburg.
Day 14: Disembark in Longyearbyen and fly to Oslo, Norway Your adventure ends in the frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we'll transfer you to the airport for your return group charter flight to Oslo.
Important Reminder Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy - and excitement - of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your Expedition Team must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you'll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed. By the same token, wildlife encounters as described are expected but not guaranteed. Your Expedition Team will use their considerable experience to seek out wildlife in known habitats, but the presence of any particular species of bird or marine wildlife is not a guarantee.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board • Beer and house wine during dinner • All shore landings per the daily programme • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily programme • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • Official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Complimentary reusable water bottle • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive onboard materials, including a map and an informative Arctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme • All luggage handling aboard the ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$500,000 per person • Transfers between Longyearbyen town center and port on embarkation and disembarkation day
Mandatory Transfer Package Includes • One night's pre-expedition hotel night at Oslo airport hotel • Charter flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen • Arrival and departure transfers in Longyearbyen • Charter flight from Longyearbyen to Oslo
Pricing (per person) $USD
Departs 2020 Departures
Jun 24, 27
Jun 24, 27
Booking conditions • Other categories of cabin available on request.
• Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
• Please contact World Journeys for the updated US exchange rate.
• Other categories of cabin available on request. • Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveller taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply. • Please contact World Journeys for the updated US exchange rate.
Not included • International airfare
• Arrival and departure transfers in Oslo
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
• Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended
• Excess-baggage fees on international flights
• Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Phone and Internet charges
• Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Additional overnight accommodation
• Any Adventure Options
• International airfare • Arrival and departure transfers in Oslo • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above • Meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance - strongly recommended • Excess-baggage fees on international flights • Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Phone and Internet charges • Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Additional overnight accommodation • Any Adventure Options
Gratuity • Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
• Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Save 10% on your expedition cruise
Save 10% on select 2020 departures. Offer valid for new bookings as of June 16, 2019 to Sept 30, 2019 for select departures April 2020 - September 2020 on select voyages. Only combinable with Consecutive Voyage Savings, Shackleton Club, past passenger offers and valid Gift Cards. Applies to voyage full fare only; cabins limited.
Not applicable to Transfer Package, Adventure Options, additional hotel accommodation, pre/post tours, insurance, flights, or group bookings.
Quark Expeditions has the right to limit, change or discontinue promotion at any time without notice. Excludes triple cabins. No cash value. Bookings made after the promotion period will not qualify for the savings. Cancel and re-books do not qualify.
Book and deposit by 30 September and receive a Free Transfer Package
Free Transfer Packages: Offer valid for new bookings deposited as of June 16, 2019 to Sept 30, 2019 for departures May 2020 - September 2020 on Ocean Adventurer cabin category Superior, Deluxe, Suite and Owner Suite, and on all World Explorer cabins (except Triple cabins). No cash value. Valid free transfer package offer items on eligible voyages will be applied automatically at time of booking.
Spitsbergen Free Transfer Package OSL/LYR/OSL (Value $895 USD) - Includes 1 night's pre-expedition hotel accommodation in Oslo, roundtrip group charter air and airport to ship transfers.