ICEHOTEL - Winter Magic
In the middle of the Aurora zone, a stay at the ICEHOTEL allows you a great chance to experience the Northern Lights.
The original ICEHOTEL is located as far as 200km inside the Arctic Circle, in the little village of Jukkasjarvi, and on the banks of Torne River. This place has been a crossroads and marketplace for the reindeer herders, the Sami, and fur traders from the south for more than 400 years. Historically, few tourists have visited Jukkasjarvi throughout its long, dark, cold and snowy winters. However, in 1989, the ICEHOTEL was created for the first time and it turned the seasons on their head, making the northern winter the peak tourist season.
Day 1 - Arrive ICEHOTEL On arrival in Kiruna you will be brought to Jukkasjarvi, and your accommodation at the ICEHOTEL. Wander around the ICEHOTEL - check out all the different art suites. Choose between two restaurants - the ICE Restaurant with an "Ice Menu" or the Old Homestead with a more traditional feel. In the evening you can enjoy a drink in the icebar before settling into your snow room at the ICEHOTEL. Inside ICEHOTEL, the temperature is never colder than -5 degrees C to -8 degrees C, regardless of how cold it may be outside. Dress in warm thermal underwear, put on a hat and slip into the cozy sleeping bag. You are awakened in the morning with a cup of hot lingonberry juice at your bedside. Breakfast buffet, guided tour of the hotel, storage locker, WiFi, morning sauna and towels are included in your stay.
Day 2 - ICEHOTEL (B) What better way to start the day than a dog sled journey across the snowy landscape with a stop for coffee & cake! Afterwards ride back to the kennel to learn more about the Arctic dogs and their daily life. You can go for a wander in the afternoon - visiting the local village to see the Museum and pretty church. In the evening, rug up if you head outside in search of the Northern Lights. This evening you will stay in a warm room, i.e. a normal hotel room and enjoy a good long sleep. Note: The ICEHOTEL loans you, free of charge, snow boots and for those who feel cold, onesie snow suits
Day 3 - ICEHOTEL (B) After a sleep in, head off after lunch for an afternoon snowmobile ride. This adventure will give you a perfect opportunity to experience Lapland's magnificent nature in broad daylight. You will be guided across frozen lakes and bogs, through hilly landscapes with views over the river and Kiruna in the far horizon. Traditional Swedish fika by an open fire included. Return for your final night in a warm room at the ICEHOTEL.
Day 4 - ICEHOTEL (B) After breakfast transfer to Kiruna for your departure.
• 1 night in a standard ice room at ICEHOTEL. Read more about staying overnight at the ICEHOTEL here. • 2 night in warm hotel room at ICEHOTEL • Daily breakfast • Dogsled ride into the winter wonderland (1.5 hours) • Snowmobile ride (3 hours) • Warm winter clothes at ICEHOTEL for included activities
Pricing (per person) $NZD
Booking conditions • Operates from 20 December 2018 - 15 April 2019
• Please note that a supplement may apply over weekends, Christmas, New Years & Valentine's Day.
• Activities can be substituted according to the season. Summer activities can include hiking, rafting and fishing.
• Enjoy sculptures in your room with an upgrade to an Art Suite or have your own heated relaxation area in a Deluxe Suite at ICEHOTEL.
• Operates from 20 December 2018 - 15 April 2019 • Please note that a supplement may apply over weekends, Christmas, New Years & Valentine's Day. • Activities can be substituted according to the season. Summer activities can include hiking, rafting and fishing. • Enjoy sculptures in your room with an upgrade to an Art Suite or have your own heated relaxation area in a Deluxe Suite at ICEHOTEL.