South Georgia and Antarctic Peninsula: Penguin Safari
• Experience the quintessential wildlife experience of the "Galapagos of the Poles" -South Georgia • Visit South Georgia's king penguin rookeries - the largest in the world • Reflect at the resting place of the great explorer, Sir Ernest Shackleton • Visit abandoned whaling stations and learn stories of inhabitants who called this island home • Enjoy on-board lecturers and educational presentations from polar specialists
This Penguin Safari itinerary is the best way to get to lesser visited South Georgia as well as setting foot on the 7th continent. Photograph massive albatross and beautiful pintado petrels as they swoop and soar around the ship, guiding you toward South Georgia. Beaches teem with king penguins and elephant seals on this fabled island, where you can pay your respects to famed explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton. Antarctica awaits, with its soaring peaks and staggering expanse. Explore on a Zodiac, or even by sea kayak, undertake an exhilarating hike up a sparkling glacier, or enjoy an encounter with an inquisitive gentoo, chinstrap and Adélie penguin.
World Explorer Distinct and comfortable, refined and roomy - these attributes and more describe World Explorer. Not only is it among Quark Expeditions' fastest ships, but it is also one of their finest, with six tiers of deluxe accommodation..
Ocean Diamond This modern, stable super-yacht is one of the largest of Quark Expeditions' expedition ships. Carrying a maximum of 189 passengers, and with two stabilizers and an ice-strengthened hull, this outstanding vessel is ideal for polar expeditions.
Ocean Adventurer The new and improved Ocean Adventurer is designed to carry 132 travelers in comfort to the most remote corners of the world. Originally built in Yugoslavia in 1976, this nimble, ice-strengthened ship has become a passenger favourite over the years, and underwent refurbishments in 1999 and 2002 with the most significant being in 2017.
Ultramarine The newest ship in the Quark Expeditions fleet, Ultramarine is designed to go beyond the familiar in polar exploration, to discover new places, and to immerse you in the best the region has to offer. Equipped with two twin-engine helicopters, Ultramarine offers the most robust portfolio of adventure activities in the industry, the most spacious suites in its category, breathtaking public spaces, and more outdoor wildlife viewing spaces than other expedition ships its size. It also features an innovative mix of sustainability features that exceed all industry standards. With all this and more, Ultramarine is set to deliver the ultimate polar expedition experience.
Day 1: Ushuaia, Argentina This small but bustling port at the tip of South America is the ideal gateway for exploring the southern extent of Patagonia, while preparing for the adventure ahead.
Day 2: Ushuaia, Argentina and Embarkation Embarkation will occur in the late afternoon. Sail down the historic Beagle Channel with an air of anticipation!
Days 3 to 6: At Sea The Expedition Team will keep you busy by testing your knowledge of seabirds, penguins and the history of South Georgia as they begin their educational lecture program.
Days 7 & 8: South Georgia The first indication that you are approaching South Georgia is the sighting of birds around a group of rocky spires called Shag Rocks. Rising out of the icy ocean waters, have your binoculars and cameras ready to photograph these rocks. Shags, prions and wandering albatross often rest here. South Georgia is one of the most fertile breeding grounds in the world, with beaches awash with penguins and seals. Once a popular base for whalers and sealers, South Georgia is also scattered with abandoned relics and evidence of human activity from history. Visit old whaling stations, enjoy presentations on the South Georgia of then and now and visit the grave of Sir Ernest Shackleton, one of the most famous Antarctic explorers.
Days 9 & 10: At Sea Antarctica awaits, along with its own penguin and seal species. While you're at sea, you can enjoy quiet time or take in presentations by the Expedition Team.
Days 11 to 13: Antarctic Peninsula The most common reaction to arriving at the White Continent is a sense of reverence and awe. The experience is hard to put into words. You will discover that Antarctica is a land of extremes: at one moment you'll be overcome with a feeling of complete silence and loneliness, the next you'll be laughing at the comical antics of a curious penguin.
Days 14 & 15: Crossing the Drake Passage After more than a dozen days of memorable wildlife encounters, your journey home begins.
Day 16: Disembark in Ushuaia We will arrive in Ushuaia in the morning after breakfast, which allows for you to continue your adventure onward, or catch your flights home.
NB: Cruises itineraries aboard Ultramarine commence with a hotel stay in Buenos Aires then a flight to Ushuaia, returning to Buenos Aires at the end. A mandatory transfer package is an additional cost on this cruise.
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy - and excitement - of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that we can achieve everything we set out to accomplish. A measure of flexibility is something all of us must bring to a voyage. There are nearly 200 recognized sites in the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands and the places mentioned above may be changed to others equally as interesting.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board • All shore landings per the daily program • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person • One night's hotel accommodation Buenos Aires or Ushuaia
Pricing (per person) $USD
World Explorer: 12 Nov (from Ushuaia) 2022
World Explorer: 12 Feb (from Ushuaia)
Ultramarine: 8 Dec (from Buenos Aires)
Ocean Diamond: 13 Dec (from Ushuaia)
Ocean Adventurer: 29 Dec (from Ushuaia)
World Explorer: 12 Nov (from Ushuaia)
2022 World Explorer: 12 Feb (from Ushuaia)
Booking conditions Other categories of cabin available on request. Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveler taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
Other categories of cabin available on request.
Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveler taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
Not included • Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes
• Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
• Excess baggage charges
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Telecommunications charges
• The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes • Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance • Excess baggage charges • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Telecommunications charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
Gratuity Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.