South Georgia and Antarctic Peninsula: Penguin Safari
• Arrive in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the tango capital of the world, and let us take care of the rest of the journey • Experience the quintessential wildlife experience of the "Galapagos of the Poles" - South Georgia • Visit South Georgia's king penguin rookeries - the largest in the world • Reflect at the resting place of the great explorer, Sir Ernest Shackleton • Visit abandoned whaling stations and learn stories of inhabitants who called this island home • Enjoy on-board lecturers and educational presentations from polar specialists
Your adventure begins in Buenos Aires, where you'll enjoy its heavily European-influenced heritage before being whisked away on a private charter flight to explore Ushuaia prior to embarkation. At sea, photograph massive albatross and pintado petrel as they swoop and soar around the ship, guiding us toward South Georgia. Beaches teeming with king penguins and elephant seals greet us on this fabled island, where we'll pay our respects to famed explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton.
Antarctica awaits, with its geographic contradictions and overwhelming enormity. Relax on a Zodiac ride, hike glistening glaciers, share comical moments with inquisitive penguins, or witness the rugged peninsula from a sea kayak. Antarctica will surprise and delight, and never disappoint.
View the 2019/2020 Quark brochure for this journey here (USD pricing)
Your Ship: Ocean Endeavour Ocean Endeavour is a comfortable, well-appointed small expedition ship expertly engineered to explore the Polar Regions. It features an ice-strengthened hull, Zodiacs for exploration and remote landings, generous deck space and advanced navigation equipment. The ship has many superb amenities including a nautical lounge, two restaurants, sundeck, and plenty of deck space for observation of polar landscapes, and lounges for learning and reflection. The ship's interiors have a contemporary aesthetic that provides a bright and spacious feel to the cabins and common spaces.
Your Ship: Ocean Diamond The Ocean Diamond is a modern, stable super-yacht, and one of the largest of our small expedition ships. Carrying a maximum of 189 passengers, and with two stabilizers and an ice-strengthened hull, this outstanding vessel is ideal for polar expeditions.
Your Ship: World Explorer Distinct and comfortable, refined and roomy, these attributes and more describe World Explorer. Not only will it be among our fastest ships, it will also be one of our finest, with six tiers of deluxe accommodation.
Day 1: Buenos Aires, Argentina You may arrive in Buenos Aires at any time during Day 1 of the itinerary. Upon your arrival in this splendid city, known for its rich architecture and European heritage, you will independently transfer to the group hotel (pre-night hotel included).
Day 2: Ushuaia, Argentina and Embarkation After breakfast at the hotel, the group will transfer to the airport and board our private charter flight to Ushuaia, Argentina. Upon arrival, you will have a little time to explore this quaint port town before heading to the pier.
Days 3 to 5: At Sea The Expedition Team will keep you busy by testing your knowledge of seabirds, penguins and the history of South Georgia as they begin their educational lecture program.
Days 6 to 8: South Georgia The first indication that you are approaching South Georgia is the sighting of birds around a group of rocky spires called Shag Rocks. Rising out of the icy ocean waters, have your binoculars and cameras ready to photograph these rocks. Shags, prions and wandering albatross often rest here.
Days 9 and 10: At Sea Antarctica awaits, along with its own penguin and seal species. While you're at sea, you can enjoy quiet time or take in presentations by the Expedition Team.
Days 11 to 13: Antarctic Peninsula The most common reaction to arriving at the White Continent is a sense of reverence and awe. The experience is hard to put into words. You will discover that Antarctica is a land of extremes: at one moment you'll be overcome with a feeling of complete silence and loneliness, the next you'll be laughing at the comical antics of a curious penguin.
Days 14 and 15: At Sea After more than a dozen days of memorable wildlife encounters, your journey home begins.
Day 16: Disembark in Ushuaia and Fly to Buenos Aires We will arrive in Ushuaia in the morning after breakfast. After disembarkation, we will taste a little of Patagonia by touring Tierra del Fuego National Park before we transfer to the airport for the return group charter flight to Buenos Aires.
• Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board • Complimentary wine with dinner (Ocean Endeavour only) • All shore landings per the daily program • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person • One night's hotel accommodation Buenos Aires
Pricing (per person) $USD
Departs Ocean Diamond
Dec 27 2020
Ocean Diamond Nov 16 World Explorer Dec 27
2020 World Explorer Dec 27
Booking conditions Other categories of cabin available on request. Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveler taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
Other categories of cabin available on request.
Single cabin prices available on request. Please note that if you are a solo traveler taking advantage of the 'Request Share' program, not all cabins apply.
Not included • Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes
• Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
• Excess baggage charges
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Telecommunications charges
• The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes • Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance • Excess baggage charges • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Telecommunications charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
Gratuity Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Save up to 25% on select departures!
Book by 30 August 2019 to save 25% on the Nov 16 - Dec 1, 2019 departure aboard the Ocean Diamond, and 10% off the Dec 27, 2019 departure aboard the World Explorer. Offer applies to voyage fare only, and is subject to availability. Excludes Triple Cabins.