Antarctic Explorer: Discovering the 7th Continent
If this is your first visit, the classic Antarctic Explorer voyage gives you the best of the stunning Antarctic Peninsula in 11 days. Conquer the famed Drake Passage, explore majestic natural environments by zodiac and on foot, get up close and personal with penguins, whales and other wildlife, and enjoy talks on history, biology and glaciology by onboard polar experts.
Amid the serene silence of Antarctica, noisy interludes become indelible memories, such as penguins squabbling over prized pebbles, or the boom and crack of a calving glacier.
Highlights Include: • Sail down the historic beagle channel • Conquer the famed Drake Passage in your choice of four stabilized, polar-class vessels • Explore majestic natural environments by zodiac and on foot • Get up close and personal with penguins, whales and other wildlife
Your Ship: The vessels in Quark Expeditions fleet accommodation anywhere from 128 to 199 passengers. They never exceed more than 200 passengers which gives guests the best polar experience on a smaller ship. Quark Expeditions boasts the largest polar-class fleet of any polar operator, and the ability to offer you this incredible voyage on one of their ice strengthened vessels. The entire Quark Expeditions fleet is built for challenging polar environments, allowing Quark to take you to places ordinary cruise companies wouldn't dream of going.
Ultramarine: The newest ship in the Quark Expeditions fleet, Ultramarine is equipped with two twin-engine helicopters and offers guests the most robust portfolio of adventure activities in the industry and the most spacious suites in its category. Ultramarine also features breathtaking public spaces, and more outdoor wildlife viewing spaces than other expedition ships its size. Guests: 199
World Explorer: This all-suite, all-balcony, ice-class ship offers guests plenty of space inside and out including observation deck & lounge, library and explorer lounge where guests meet for a drink and chat. Health and wellness facilities include outdoor running track, small gym and spa, plus an outdoor swimming pool. Guests: 172
Ocean Diamond: Both a comfortable and capable ship with all rooms enjoying exterior views, TV, fridge, and one double or two single beds, with some suites sporting a private balcony. Relax with a book in the polar library, head to the gym for a workout, enjoy a drink at the bar, or soak in the scenery from the panoramic observation lounge, or on one of the outer decks. Guests: 189
Ocean Adventurer: A long been a favourite among guests with ample outdoor deck space, numerous cosy spots to socialize onboard, plus the outdoor jacuzzi. In 2017, Ocean Adventurer underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation including a completely remodelled lounge, dining room and bar, and new en-suite bathroom facilities. Guests: 128
Day 1: Ushuaia, Argentina With a population of more than 63,000 people, Ushuaia is the southernmost city in the world. The city has grown over the past few years, yet it has retained an easy going and accessible feel. With the sea to the south and mountains to the north, Ushuaia is a spectacular departure point for your Antarctic cruise. If you arrive early, you can spend some time in the nearby Tierra del Fuego National Park, enjoy some Argentinean wines and barbeques in the city, or visit the many boutique shops and cafes before you leave for your expedition to Antarctica.
Day 2: Embarkation Day Embarkation will occur in the late afternoon, after which your vessel will sail down the historic Beagle Channel. This historic channel transects the Tierra del Fuego archipelago in the extreme south of South America. Expect an air of excitement as you depart - the next time you see land you'll be in the world's most southern continent!
Days 3 & 4: Crossing the Drake Passage Your days at sea are filled with presentations led by your Expedition Team who will prepare you for the wildlife, glaciology and history that will greet you upon your arrival. In between presentations spend time on deck looking for wildlife or chatting with your shipmates over a drink at the bar.
Days 5 - 8: South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula When the Antarctic Convergence is left in our wake, you will truly begin your Antarctic adventure. It is perhaps the first sight of land itself that is embraced as the true beginning of any Antarctic expedition.
You can begin to appreciate why this region has long captivated the attention of explorers and travelers alike. Every time we visit Antarctica we witness something new or unexpected, meaning your expedition will be unlike any other, creating a unique, personal experience. We will take Zodiac excursions from the ship to explore bays, channels and landing sites each day. With wildlife always at the forefront of our minds you will visit penguin rookeries, scout for humpback and Minke whales and search for a number of the southern seal species, including the cunning leopard seal.
The majesty of the Peninsula's mountains will enchant you as you scramble up snowy pathways to vantage points offering you 360 degree views of your surroundings. One of these in particular, in Orne Harbour, gives the opportunity to visit a chinstrap penguin colony high up on a ridge. Here you'll have the choice between going for a mountain hike or spending time sitting quietly on a pebbled beach to enjoy the antics of curious penguins. If you're feeling extra adventurous, participating in the Polar Plunge swim is about as crazy as it gets! Amidst the serene silence of Antarctica, noisy interludes now become indelible memories, such as penguins squabbling over prized pebbles, or the boom and crack of a calving glacier in Neko Harbour.
Every day will be different, having been carefully crafted by your Expedition Team so as to entertain and educate you about this wonderful part of the world.
Days 9 & 10: Drake Passage to Ushuaia The journey back across the Drake Passage provides you with some final opportunities to enjoy the crisp Antarctic air. Spend time on the deck watching for seabirds and scouting for whales, enjoy a few final presentations by your Expedition Team or simply relax and reminisce about your experiences.
Day 11: Disembarkation in Ushuaia You will arrive in Ushuaia in the morning allowing for you to continue your adventure on land or catch your flights home.
*Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy - and excitement of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that we can achieve everything we set out to accomplish. A measure of flexibility is something all of us must bring to a voyage. there are nearly 200 recognized sites in the Antractic Peninsula and South Shetlands and the places mentioned above may be changed to others equally as interesting.
NB: Cruises itineraries aboard Ultramarine commence with a hotel stay in Buenos Aires then a flight to Ushuaia, returning to Buenos Aires at the end. A mandatory transfer package is an additional cost on this cruise.
• One night pre-expedition hotel accommodation with breakfast in Ushuaia (or Buenos Aires if aboard Ultramarine). The number of guests per room is the same as cabin occupancy on the ship. Due to limited availability, travelers who reserve a suite on board are accommodated in standard rooms at the hotel. Triple rooms may not be available. • Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches and dinners on board throughout your voyage (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships' galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.) • All shore landings per the daily program • Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition leader, including shore landings and other activities • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled • Photographic Journal on DVD, documenting the voyage • A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader • A group transfer upon disembarkation in Ushuaia from the ship to the local airport • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard ship • Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person
Also included during expeditions aboard the Ocean Diamond: • Snowshoes available on loan for shore excursions on designated voyages. • Headsets available on loan for listening to staff presentations and commentary. • Access the world's largest floating collection of polar books and DVDs in many languages. • Yoga classes and onboard wellness program. • A comprehensive photography program that includes the services of a resident photography instructor, a program of lectures on photography and digital image manipulation, photography focused excursions at landing sites.
Also included during expeditions aboard the Ocean Adventurer: • Snowshoes available on loan for shore excursions on designated voyages.
Mandatory Transfer Package (Ultramarine) includes: • Pre-expedition hotel night in Buenos Aires, with breakfast • Group transfer from the hotel to the airport in Buenos Aires • Charter flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia, and return • Group transfer from Ushuaia airport to the ship, and return
Pricing (per person) $USD
Departs World Explorer
2021: 3 Nov, 19 Dec
2022: 7, 16 Jan, 3 Feb
Ultramarine 2021: 31 Oct, 20 Nov
2022: 11 Feb Ocean Adventurer 2022: 12, 21, 30 Jan
Ocean Diamond 2022: 17, 26 Jan, 4, 13 Feb, 6 Mar
2021: 3 Nov, 19 Dec
Booking conditions • Single travellers will be matched with another traveller of the same gender and pay the share twin price. Single travellers who wish to have their own cabin, please enquire.
• Single travellers will be matched with another traveller of the same gender and pay the share twin price. Single travellers who wish to have their own cabin, please enquire.
Not included • Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes
• A mandatory transfer package from Buenos Aires is an additional cost when sailing aboard Ultramarine
• Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
• Excess baggage charges
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Telecommunications charges
• The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Massage service
• Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes • A mandatory transfer package from Buenos Aires is an additional cost when sailing aboard Ultramarine • Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance • Excess baggage charges • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Telecommunications charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew • Massage service
Gratuity Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Early booking offer: • Up to 25% savings on Standard Cabins & 30% on Premium Cabins • Valid on select voyages & departures between Oct 2021 - Mar 2023.
Additional full payment bonus: • 10% saving on voyages departing 1 Feb 2022 - 31 Mar 2022 • 15% saving on voyages departing 1 Apr 2022 - 31 Mar 2023. • Full payment must be received no later than 30 days after the booking is confirmed.
Offers are valid for new bookings made by 31 May 2021 and applies to the voyage fare only, subject to availability.
Please contact World Journeys for up to date details, terms and conditions at the time of booking.