Antarctic Express: Fly the Drake
Answer the call of Antarctica by flying over the notorious Drake Passage by charter plane to land at King George Island before exploring the Antarctic Peninsula by ship. Select from a range of adventure options and onboard activities that match your personal interests and make your expedition uniquely yours.
The fastest way to get to Antarctica is by air, affording some spectacular views during the flight and avoiding the two-day crossing in each direction of the Drake Passage, which helps maximise your time in Antarctica. There is nowhere quite like the "seventh continent", you will not be disappointed!
Highlights Include: • Fly from Punta Arenas to King George Island • Explore historic sites • Discover majestic natural environments by zodiac and on foot • Get up close and personal with penguins, whales and other wildlife
Your Ship: The vessels in Quark Expeditions fleet accommodation anywhere from 128 to 199 passengers. They never exceed more than 200 passengers which gives guests the best polar experience on a smaller ship. Quark Expeditions boasts the largest polar-class fleet of any polar operator, and the ability to offer you this incredible voyage on one of their ice strengthened vessels. The entire Quark Expeditions fleet is built for challenging polar environments, allowing Quark to take you to places ordinary cruise companies wouldn't dream of going.
World Explorer: This all-suite, all-balcony, ice-class ship offers guests plenty of space inside and out including observation deck & lounge, library and explorer lounge where guests meet for a drink and chat. Health and wellness facilities include outdoor running track, small gym and spa, plus an outdoor swimming pool. Guests: 172
Ocean Adventurer: A long been a favourite among guests with ample outdoor deck space, numerous cosy spots to socialize onboard, plus the outdoor jacuzzi. In 2017, Ocean Adventurer underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation including a completely remodelled lounge, dining room and bar, and new en-suite bathroom facilities. Guests: 128
Day 1: Punta Arenas, Chile Your adventure begins in Punta Arenas, Chile, the most populated city in Patagonia. If you arrive early, there are many museums, restaurants and shops to keep you busy for days. By early afternoon, a Quark Expeditions representative will bring everyone together to your starting hotel, where you'll enjoy a welcome dinner and be briefed about preparing for your embarkation day.
Day 2: Embarkation Day Your charter flight from Punta Arenas to Antarctica will have you crossing the infamous Drake Passage in only a few hours. Way below, the ship is approaching King George Island for your arrival. The dramatic Antarctic landscapes soon become visible as your plane descends for landing in the South Shetlands. After landing, stretch your legs and spend some time exploring the island before being transferred by Zodiac to your ship. Meet the rest of your shipmates and set sail for the Peninsula!
Days 3 - 6: Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetland Islands There are few places in the world as evocative as Antarctica. As we approach the white continent, don't be surprised if you are overcome by feelings of excitement and awe. Much of Antarctica is indescribable and can only be fully appreciated through the human eye.
Your first sightings will be from the ship itself. As the Captain and Expedition Team keep their eyes out for whales and seabirds, you'll be alerted to any new sightings. Our team of expert lecturers will also provide in-depth explanations of the geology, history and wildlife of the region.
Even more exciting are your daily excursions to land. Your first Zodiac landing is something you'll never forget! Walking up to a beach that is dotted with penguins and seals is the most intimate way to experience the unique wildlife of Antarctica. Each landing is different and is dependent on weather, but every day presents new sightings and photo opportunities. You may take a Zodiac cruise in search of whales and icebergs in Pleneau Island one day, followed by a hike to a chinstrap rookery the next day. From the booming shot of a calving glacier at Petermann Island to the complete silence of night while camping in Antarctica, you'll welcome each day with the excitement and energy of a young child. Our Expedition Team will be with you all along, providing insights into the places you visit and offering photography tips to get the most out of your expedition.
Day 7: Disembarkation and Fly to Punta Arenas After your four days of exploration, you'll say goodbye to the Expedition Team and disembark at King George Island. Your three-hour flight across the Drake Passage to Punta Arenas, Chile brings your journey to an end. After we transfer you from the airport to the hotel, you can enjoy one final dinner (not included) to reminisce about all the sights and sounds of Antarctica.
Day 8: Depart for Home After breakfast, you are free to continue on your own travels or make your way to the Punta Arenas airport for your homeward flights.
*Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy and excitement of expedition travel. There are no guarantees that we can achieve everything we set out to accomplish. A measure of flexibility is something all of us must bring to a voyage. There are nearly 200 recognized sites in the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands and the places mentioned above may be changed to others equally as interesting.
• Group transfer in Punta Arenas from airport to pre-expedition hotel on Day 1 • One night pre-expedition hotel accommodation in Punta Arenas with breakfast • Briefing dinner on Day 1 in Punta Arenas • Group transfer from hotel to airport in Punta Arenas pre-expedition • Charter flight Punta Arenas > King George Island > Punta Arenas • Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping • All breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks on board • All shore landings per the daily program • Leadership throughout the voyage by an experienced Expedition Leader • All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program • Formal and informal presentations by the Expedition Team and special guests as scheduled • Photographic journal documenting the expedition • Waterproof expedition boots on loan for shore landings • An official Quark Expeditions parka to keep • Coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock • Hair dryer and bathrobe in every cabin • Comprehensive pre-departure materials, including a map and an informative Antarctic Reader • All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program • All luggage handling aboard ship • Emergency evacuation insurance to a maximum benefit of US$100,000 per person • Group transfer from airport in Punta Arenas to hotel post-expedition • One night post-expedition hotel accommodation in Punta Arenas with breakfast
Pricing (per person) $USD
Ocean Adventurer: 5, 11, 16, 21 Dec
2022 Ocean Adventurer: 11, 16 Feb
World Explorer: 1, 6, 11 Mar
Ocean Adventurer: 5, 11, 16, 21 Dec
Booking conditions • Other cabin categories available, enquire for details.
• When travelling in remote regions, expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide the route. The above is a tentative outline of what you will experience; no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
• Single travellers will be matched with another traveller of the same gender and pay the share twin price. Single travellers who wish to have their own cabin please enquire.
• Other cabin categories available, enquire for details. • When travelling in remote regions, expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide the route. The above is a tentative outline of what you will experience; no specific itinerary can be guaranteed. • Single travellers will be matched with another traveller of the same gender and pay the share twin price. Single travellers who wish to have their own cabin please enquire.
Not included • Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary
• Passport and visa expenses
• Government arrival and departure taxes
• Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance
• Excess baggage charges
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified
• Telecommunications charges
• The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
• Any airfare unless otherwise specified in the itinerary • Passport and visa expenses • Government arrival and departure taxes • Any meals ashore unless otherwise specified • Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance • Excess baggage charges • Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges unless specified • Telecommunications charges • The voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
Gratuity Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Gratuities are voluntary and can be given at the end of your cruise. We recommend that you budget US$10 to US$15 per person per day, if you are pleased with the service on board.
Early booking offer: • Up to 25% savings on Standard Cabins & 30% on Premium Cabins • Valid on select voyages & departures between Oct 2021 - Mar 2023.
Additional full payment bonus: • 10% saving on voyages departing 1 Feb 2022 - 31 Mar 2022 • 15% saving on voyages departing 1 Apr 2022 - 31 Mar 2023. • Full payment must be received no later than 30 days after the booking is confirmed.
Offers are valid for new bookings made by 31 May 2021 and applies to the voyage fare only, subject to availability.
Please contact World Journeys for up to date details, terms and conditions at the time of booking.