Fishing Alaska's Inside Passage
• Juneau • Favorite Bay Lodge • Ketchikan • The Lodge at Whale Pass
Embark on an unforgettable wilderness fishing adventure, staying at two remote lodges in the sheltered waters of Alaska's Inside Passage. Life here is shaped by the water - there are few roads, and travel is overwhelmingly by boat and plane. Spin or flycast quiet lakes and streams for freshwater species one day, and hook a monster halibut for the ultimate saltwater experience the next day.
Return in the evening to casual luxury in the wilderness, complete with gourmet meals featuring Alaskan specialties. Any non-anglers in the group will be delighted by the wide range of other activities on offer - perhaps whale watching or kayaking one day and hiking the next.
Day 1: Juneau Upon arrival into Juneau, make your own way to your hotel. The remainder of the day is at leisure to explore Alaska's capital city on your own.
Day 2: Juneau Today embark on a flightseeing tour by helicopter. See the most remote and ancient peaks and glaciers in the Juneau Icefields, with breathtaking views of alpine lakes and icefalls hanging from sheer cliffs. Your pilot will be your guide for two different glacier landings, with exact locations chosen on the day for a unique and personalised experience. Enjoy the rest of your day at leisure.
Day 3: Juneau > Favorite Bay Lodge Enjoy time at leisure in Juneau before making your way to the airport for your late afternoon float plane journey to Favourite Bay Lodge. Located well off the beaten track on Admiralty Island, this luxury wilderness resort offers unparalleled fresh and salt water fishing along with unspoiled nature and amazing wildlife. On arrival you will be greeted at the dock for the walk up to the lodge. Dinner will be served shortly after - a four course gourmet dining experience featuring the tastes of Alaska. Savour delicacies such as fresh halibut, king and silver salmon, spotted prawns and Dungeness crab, along with a selection of prime meats.
Days 4 - 5: Favorite Bay Lodge Choose one guided activity each day. Those wanting to experience world class fishing can head out to sea in search of all five species of wild Pacific salmon, halibut and a variety of rockfish, or fish from native streams and hidden lakes to find Dolly Varden and both cutthroat and steelhead trout. Non-anglers can select from a wide range of activities including whale watching, kayaking, hiking, exploring the Tongass National Forest, crab trap pulling and culinary classes.
Day 6: Favorite Bay Lodge > Juneau > Ketchikan After breakfast this morning, travel by floatplane back to Juneau. After your flight to Ketchikan (not included), make your way to your hotel for check-in. Tucked into the hillside overlooking the Tongass Narrows with panoramic views of the city, your hotel is accessed via a scenic tram ride from Creek Street. The rest of your day is at leisure to explore the colourful city of Ketchikan.
Day 7: Ketchikan > The Lodge at Whale Pass After a relaxing morning, make your way to the airport for your floatplane to The Lodge at Whale Pass. Southeast Alaska's finest fishing and adventure lodge, it was designed to allow you to experience wilderness in casual luxury. Expansive common areas and the serene spa allow ample opportunities to unwind, and the beachside fire pit is a great place to appreciate the long evening hours. Later, head to the dining room for a gourmet dinner featuring local ingredients and Alaskan specialties, all created with you in mind.
Days 8 - 9: The Lodge at Whale Pass Over the next two days, the staff will work with you to create your own customised personal itinerary filled with unique experiences. Discerning anglers can opt for guided halibut and salmon fishing in the rich waters of the Inside Passage, or choose to visit the fish-filled creeks, rivers and lakes with a fly-rod or spin caster in search of salmon, trout and steelhead. Some of the other numerous adventures on offer include kayaking, hiking, caving, whale watching, bear viewing, beachcombing and glacier visits. Alternatively you can simply bask in the relaxing and reinvigorating lodge environment, recharging with a visit to the wood-fired sauna or a dip in the hot tub.
Day 10: The Lodge at Whale Pass > Ketchikan After a relaxing morning, travel by float plane back to Ketchikan. Make your way to your hotel, and then enjoy the afternoon at leisure in Ketchikan. Perhaps visit your lodge's in-house museum that celebrates the Tlingit culture, browse the shops and galleries in the city, or head out on one of the local hiking trails.
Day 11: Ketchikan Your journey ends upon checkout from your Ketchikan hotel.
• Tailor-made journey • 2 nights' hotel accommodation in Juneau • 50 minute helicopter flight from Juneau with two 15 minute landings • 3 nights' accommodation at Favorite Bay Lodge, with gourmet meals, non-alcoholic beverages, daily guided activities, gratuities for lodge staff, return float plane transfer from Juneau to the lodge, up to 100 lbs of processed fish (including packaging and freight back to Juneau), and fishing gear (bait, tackle, rubber boots, jackets and pants). • 3 nights' accommodation at The Lodge at Whale Pass with all food and beverages (including alcoholic), fully guided land and water based daily excursions, return float plane transfers from Ketchikan to the lodge, use of lodge gear (including kayaks, all fresh and saltwater fishing tackle and mountain bikes), and preparation of all harvested fish in an airline-approved shipping container. • 2 nights' hotel accommodation in Ketchikan, including complimentary airport shuttle
Pricing (per person) $NZD
Departs daily. 2022 rates available on request.
2021 Departs daily. 2022 rates available on request.
Not included • Flight between Juneau and Ketchikan
• Alcohol at Favorite Bay Lodge (not sold at the property - guests can bring their own)
• Gratuities unless noted in inclusions
• Fishing licenses
• Hotel / airport transfers in Juneau
• Spa treatments (The Lodge at Whale Pass)
• Flight between Juneau and Ketchikan • Alcohol at Favorite Bay Lodge (not sold at the property - guests can bring their own) • Gratuities unless noted in inclusions • Fishing licenses • Hotel / airport transfers in Juneau • Spa treatments (The Lodge at Whale Pass)