Grizzlies, Orcas & Black Bears Self-Drive
• Vancouver • Campbell River • Knight Inlet Lodge • Tofino • Victoria
A circle self-drive itinerary from Vancouver focusing on wildlife viewing. Bring your camera - you'll enjoy a whale watching cruise in search of grey whales, humpback whales, sea lions, sea birds and resident bald eagles or enjoy a bear viewing cruise in search of black bears who head for the closest food source - the ocean!
Day 1: Vancouver > Campbell River Pick up your car in Vancouver and drive to Horseshoe Bay, sail on BC ferries to Vancouver Island and transfer to the city of Campbell River, historically renowned as the "Salmon Capital of the World".
Day 2: Campbell River > Knight Inlet Lodge Leave your car at the hotel and fly in by floatplane from Campbell River to Knight Inlet Lodge. Take a bear watching and wildlife viewing tour in search of the grizzly bears that frequent this area.
Day 3: Knight Inlet Lodge > Tofino Collect your car and head south west to Tofino on the rugged West Coast.
Day 4: Tofino - Choice of 3 excursions Today you can personalise your day by choosing one of three excursions. Option 1. Coastal Bear Watch Cruise - Search for foraging bears from the comfort and safety of a 24' Zodiac vessel. Option 2. Whale Watching Cruise - Cruise through the pristine waters of Clayoquot Sound to view beautiful scenery and wildlife. Option 3. Tofino Food Tour - Taste why Tofino is truly one of Canada's best food scenes, combined with local stories and fascinating history.
Day 5: Tofino > Victoria Travel back to the East Coast of Vancouver Island and head south to Victoria. En route stops should be made at the artist community of Chemainus, and if time permits, the Quw'utsun Heritage Village which provides you with an insight into the loves of the northwest coast people.
Day 6: Victoria Take an Eat like a Canadian Food Tour. Not many people can define exactly what Canadian food is: from local ingredients to historic dishes, this tour is the best way to experience Canadian culinary culture. Sip and savour local cuisine, explore the iconic Inner Harbour and meet the chefs and owners that make Victoria such an exciting culinary hot spot.
Day 7: Victoria > Vancouver Leaving Victoria, drive the short and scenic route to Butchart Gardens (admission included), 55 acres of wonderful floral display. Then continue driving north to Swartz Bay Ferry terminal for a scenic 90 min ferry ride to Tsawwassen and continue on to downtown Vancouver where your tour ends.
• Tailor-made self-drive journey • 6 night's deluxe accommodation • 7 days car rental • Return BC ferries toll for vehicle and passengers between Vancouver and Vancouver Island • Return floatplane transfers to Knight Inlet Lodge (included here guided bear viewing tours, Knight Inlet sightseeing cruise weather permitting, use of kayaks, all meals and snacks, complimentary house wine with dinner) • Choice of excursions at Tofino • 'Eat like a Canadian' tour in Victoria • Butchart Gardens entry
Pricing (per person) $NZD
Departs daily between May - Sep. Please enquire for other dates.
2021 Departs daily between May - Sep. Please enquire for other dates.
Not included • Gratuities
• Road Tolls
• BC Ferries reservation fee
• National Park Entrance Fee Rental Car doesn't include
• PAI Plus (Personal Accident Insurance Plus)
• PEP (Personal Effects Protection)
• Optional services such as refuelling service charges
• One way drop off fees
• Additional driver's fee
• Child seat (mandatory for children 12 years and younger - these need to requested at time of booking)
• Ski racks
• Gratuities • Road Tolls • BC Ferries reservation fee • National Park Entrance Fee
Rental Car doesn't include • PAI Plus (Personal Accident Insurance Plus) • PEP (Personal Effects Protection) • Optional services such as refuelling service charges • One way drop off fees • Additional driver's fee • Child seat (mandatory for children 12 years and younger - these need to requested at time of booking) • Ski racks • Petrol