Narwhal & Polar Bear Safari
Designed for exclusivity and the adventure of a lifetime Travel to this NEW floe edge location at the northern reaches of Baffin Island for a chance to see narwhal, polar bear and other iconic Arctic wildlife.
Revel in the wonder of the floe edge, where the sea-ice meets open water, and marine mammals and other wildlife congregate at the floe edge - also known as the 'line of life'.
Stimulate all your senses in one of the most spectacular places on the earth. Take in stunning aerial views of dramatic landscapes and icebergs on the private flight to our Premium Safari Camp. Set on an Arctic beach with views of Bylot Island, your home-away-from-home is a comfortable respite after an exciting day spent out on the floe edge. Located in Navy Board Inlet, surrounded by Sirmilik National Park, (which means "place of glaciers") our camp enjoys a striking backdrop of towering cliffs and glistening glaciers. A fascinating and thriving eco-system welcomes you for your chance to view pods of narwhal and beluga, a variety of sea birds, polar bears, seals, and possibly bowhead whales and walrus.
Narwhal & Polar Bear Safari offers an excellent opportunity for viewing Arctic wildlife, as well as, spectacular landscapes.
The vast expanses, seemingly-endless skies, tranquility of the Arctic, and our small group program, allows for a serene and unhurried experience of the Arctic. Relax with the freedom to linger and discover the Arctic's beauty or photograph the magnificent scenes around you.
Day 1: Ottawa > Pond Inlet > Navy Board Inlet; Nunavut (D) Commercial flights from Ottawa to Iqaluit by jet (approximately 3 1/2 hours) Change to turboprop or other plane and fly Iqaluit to Pond Inlet.
Upon landing in Pond Inlet, you will be welcomed by a representative. Private aerial flight (approximately 1 hour) to camp provides stunning aerial views of the vast Arctic landscapes, including dramatic mountains and icebergs in and around Sirmilik National Park. Settle into camp and enjoy a hot gourmet dinner with your group. If conditions allow, travel to the floe edge on your first evening of the adventure!
Day 2 - Day 5: Navy Board Inlet (B,L,D) Head out each day in small groups to the floe edge, travelling by snowmobile and qamutik (traditional Inuit sled). Flexible departure times allow a more personalized schedule, where daily activities are designed based on your interests.
One of the greatest highlights for many guests on this safari is the opportunity to observe a variety of Arctic wildlife in their natural habitat, including narwhal, beluga, bowhead whales, seals, and polar bears. Migratory birds are also in abundance. Ice conditions permitting, you may also visit the Bylot Island Migratory Bird Sanctuary, where more than 200,000 birds choose to nest each year.
Delve into the Inuit culture on a journey to traditional Inuit hunting grounds, by qamutik and snowmobile. You may also have a chance to visit evocative ancient Thule sites, where you will see the traditional tent rings and learn about the culture and history of the ancestors of Inuit.
Day 6: Navy Board Inlet > Pond Inlet (B,L,D) Enjoy your final day in the High Arctic wilderness before flying directly out of camp to Pond Inlet. Explore the town at your leisure and spend your final night in a hotel. This evening we will enjoy an Inuit cultural presentation
Day 7: Pond Inlet > Ottawa(B) Transfer to the Pond Inlet airport. Board your flight back to Ottawa via Iqaluit and onwards to home.
Please note: This itinerary is intended to be representative only as weather and wildlife conditions play a large role in dictating our daily movements and activities. It is important to have a spirit of flexibility when travelling to any Arctic location
Accommodation - Premium Safari Camp on Land Inspired by African mobile safari camps, our Premium Safari Camp brings elegance and comfort to the Arctic. The modern, specially designed Arctic yurt-style safari camp structures provide a warm and inviting home-away-from-home in one of the world's most remote, yet breathtaking places. The safari camp features a large dining and lounge area, with a 24-hour snack and drink buffet.
Sleep quarters are spacious and warm, 4.8m (16') in diameter, with over 3m (10') cathedral ceilings. They have double walls with insulation and are entered via a lockable door. The camp includes a shared washroom facility with on-demand hot water showers. Accommodations with private washrooms are also available.
Accommodation choices include: • Premium Yurt: Our standard accommodation is a heated, premium yurt. These double occupancy accommodations can include two twin beds or one king bed. • Deluxe Yurt: This option includes a heated, double occupancy, premium yurt with a private en-suite bathroom. Configurations can be with two twin beds, or one king bed. • Family Tent: Perfect for families of four, this quad occupancy heated premium tent includes two twin beds or a king bed, and a set of bunk beds.
• Round trip flights Ottawa to Pond Inlet, and charter flight to camp • Meals: 6 breakfasts, 5 lunches and snacks, 6 dinners • Hot drinks and snacks available 24/7 • • Accommodations: 5 nights in Premium Safari Camp, • 1 nights in a hotel in Pond Inlet • Services of Expedition Leaders and Inuit guides • Use of kayaks and dry-suit, mask, fins, hood, and gloves for snorkeling • Return transfers in Pond Inlet • Guided interpretive hikes
Pricing (per person) $NZD
Departs 2020 Departures
May 15, 22, 29
Jun 5, 12
May 15, 22, 29
Booking conditions • Group size 8 to 16 people
• A non-refundable deposit of 30% is required prior to booking.
• Full payment is due 150 days prior to departure. Single Traveler
• If you are a single traveler who requests at time of booking to share accommodations with a fellow traveler of the same gender, we will try to match you. If no match becomes available, a single supplement will not be charged.
• Single accommodation may not always be available on all trips and is not guaranteed.
• Group size 8 to 16 people • A non-refundable deposit of 30% is required prior to booking. • Full payment is due 150 days prior to departure.
Single Traveler • If you are a single traveler who requests at time of booking to share accommodations with a fellow traveler of the same gender, we will try to match you. If no match becomes available, a single supplement will not be charged. • Single accommodation may not always be available on all trips and is not guaranteed.
Not included • Pre/post tour accommodation Ottawa
• Personal Expenses
• Travel, medical and evacuation insurance coverage
• Additional costs associated with weather and/or layovers in Pond Inlet, Iqaluit or Ottawa
• Polar Clothing Rental Package strongly encouraged
• Pre/post tour accommodation Ottawa • Tips/Gratuities • Personal Expenses • Travel, medical and evacuation insurance coverage • Additional costs associated with weather and/or layovers in Pond Inlet, Iqaluit or Ottawa • Polar Clothing Rental Package strongly encouraged