Narwhal & Polar Bear Safari
Our Narwhal and Polar Bear Safari is the perfect adventure for first time visitors to the Arctic as well as seasoned Arctic travelers. It is suitable for adults and families, and amateur or professional naturalists and photographers. This Arctic tour offers an excellent opportunity for viewing and photographing Arctic wildlife, including narwhal, polar bears, seals and a variety of bird species, as well as spectacular landscapes. The vast expanses, seemingly-endless skies, and tranquility of the Arctic, and our small group programme, allows for a serene and unhurried experience of the Arctic. Relax with the freedom to linger and watch or photograph the magnificent Arctic scenes around you or simply discover the beauty and wonder of the Arctic's floe edge.
Day 1: Ottawa > Pond Inlet > Navy Board Inlet This morning depart on your flight from Ottawa to Pond Inlet via Iqaluit. Upon landing in Pond Inlet, you will be welcomed by a representative. In groups of eight, transfer to the private plane for your short flight into camp. Have your cameras ready for stunning aerial views of the vast Arctic landscapes, including dramatic mountains and icebergs in Sirmilik National Park. Settle in to camp and enjoy a hot dinner with your fellow adventurers.
Day 2 - Day 5: Navy Board Inlet Take trips to the floe edge by snowmobile and qamutik. Observe prolific wildlife and spectacular Arctic landscapes, and enjoy mild spring weather. In small groups, take day trips in the area and engage in a variety of activities both on land, such as guided hikes, and at the floe edge. Snorkel and kayak amongst sea ice and possibly within the presence of whales.
One of the greatest highlights for many guests on this safari is the opportunity to observe a variety of Arctic wildlife in their natural habitat, including narwhal, beluga, bowhead whales, seals, and polar bears. Migratory birds are also in abundance. Ice conditions permitting, you may also visit the Bylot Island Migratory Bird Sanctuary, where more than 200,000 birds choose to nest each year.
Delve into the Inuit culture on a journey to traditional Inuit hunting grounds, by qamutik and snowmobile. You may also have a chance to visit the evocative ancient Thule sites, where you will see the traditional tent rings and learn about the culture and history of the ancestors of Inuit
Day 6: Navy Board > Pond Inlet After another full day enjoying the High Arctic wilderness, fly directly out of camp to Pond Inlet in groups of eight. Explore the town at your leisure and spend your final night in a hotel
Day 7: Pond Inlet > Ottawa Transfer to the Pond Inlet airport. Board your flight back to Ottawa via Iqaluit and onwards to home.
Please note: This itinerary is intended to be representative only as weather and wildlife conditions play a large role in dictating our daily movements and activities. It is important to have a spirit of flexibility when travelling to any Arctic location
Accommodation - Premium Safari Camp on Land Inspired by African mobile safari camps, our Premium Safari Camp brings elegance and comfort to the Arctic. The modern, specially designed Arctic yurt-style safari camp structures provide a warm and inviting home-away-from-home in one of the world's most remote, yet breathtaking places. The safari camp features a large dining and lounge area, with a 24-hour snack and drink buffet.
Sleep quarters are spacious and warm, 4.8m (16') in diameter, with over 3m (10') cathedral ceilings. They have double walls with insulation and are entered via a lockable door. The camp includes a shared washroom facility with on-demand hot water showers. Accommodations with private washrooms are also available.
Accommodation choices include: • Premium Yurt: Our standard accommodation is a heated, premium yurt. These double occupancy accommodations can include two twin beds or one king bed. • Deluxe Yurt: This option includes a heated, double occupancy, premium yurt with a private en-suite bathroom. Configurations can be with two twin beds, or one king bed. • Family Tent: Perfect for families of four, this quad occupancy heated premium tent includes two twin beds or a king bed, and a set of bunk beds.
• Services of Inuit guide and expedition staff • Charter flight to/from camp • 5 nights in Premium Safari Camp on land • 1 night Pond Inlet hotel • All transportation for duration of stay in camp and Pond Inlet • 6 breakfasts, 6 lunches and snacks, 6 dinners • Use of kayaks • Dry suit, mask, fins, hood, gloves for snorkeling • Guided interpretive hikes
Pricing (per person) $NZD
May 13, 14, 19, 20, 25, 26, 31
Jun 1, 6, 7, 12, 13, 18, 19
May 13, 14, 19, 20, 25, 26, 31
Booking conditions • Group size 8 to 16 people
• A non-refundable deposit of 30% is required prior to booking.
• Full payment is due 150 days prior to departure. Single Traveler
• If you are a single traveler who requests at time of booking to share accommodations with a fellow traveler of the same gender, we will try to match you. If no match becomes available, a single supplement will not be charged.
• Single accommodation may not always be available on all trips and is not guaranteed.
• Group size 8 to 16 people • A non-refundable deposit of 30% is required prior to booking. • Full payment is due 150 days prior to departure.
Single Traveler • If you are a single traveler who requests at time of booking to share accommodations with a fellow traveler of the same gender, we will try to match you. If no match becomes available, a single supplement will not be charged. • Single accommodation may not always be available on all trips and is not guaranteed.
Not included • Return flights Ottawa > Pond Inlet
• Fuel surcharges
• Pre/post tour accommodation Ottawa
• Personal Expenses
• Travel, medical and evacuation insurance coverage
• Additional costs associated with weather and/or layovers in Pond Inlet, Iqaluit or Ottawa
• Return flights Ottawa > Pond Inlet • Fuel surcharges • Pre/post tour accommodation Ottawa • Tips/Gratuities • Personal Expenses • Travel, medical and evacuation insurance coverage • Additional costs associated with weather and/or layovers in Pond Inlet, Iqaluit or Ottawa