Londolozi Private Game Reserve
A private game reserve in South Africa's Sabi Sand Game Reserve
A personal favourite of the Africa experts at World Journeys, Londolozi is one of South Africa’s original private game reserves, in the very heart of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve.
The root of the word Londolozi is the Zulu word for protect and means “protector of all living things”. Breeding herds of elephant and buffalo roam throughout the Londolozi area, while lion concentrations are also common. However, it is the truly remarkable relationship which has developed over three decades between wild free ranging leopards and ranger and trackers which makes Londolozi world famous.
Experience exceptional cuisine and the very best game viewing with some of Africa’s finest rangers and trackers. Wildlife roams freely across this vast space, offering spectacular game viewing and a true wilderness experience.
Your Londolozi Experience
Getting into step with the rhythm of nature is the first order of business. Witnessing the start of the day in the African bush is like being invited to partake in a daily miracle. A dawn chorus of birdsong and the haunting calls of fish eagles, the air rich with the night flowers’ perfume and delightfully cool. By 7:30am the magic hours have passed, and soon the animals will sink into the torpor brought on by the midday heat. On returning from the drive and fortifying yourself with breakfast you can either retire to the cool sanctuary of your chalet or indulge a myriad of bushveld activities such as:
– Bush walk, photographic studio, village experience, massage, Good Work Foundation Community Experience, yoga
In spring and summer, the early evening air along the Sand River often carries the aroma of baked potatoes. Far from drifting from the camp kitchens, this scent emanates from the tiny pink flowers of a scrambling scrub called the Potato Bush. Breathe in this most distinctive of bushveld smells and let it come to be associated with the anticipation of your evening game drive. Winter evenings are also a feast for the senses. Drink in all the postcard images around you: the bare thorn tree, silhouetted against a vast red sunset as the first glimmering stars appear.
Game drives at Londolozi are taken by professional, passionate and knowledgeable rangers and trackers, who have 350 years of experience between them. With over 16,000 hectares of traversing wilderness, no two game drives are ever the same. Trackers sit up at the front of the Land Rover looking for fresh animal tracks, while rangers drive with astonishing skill into ravines and through thicket in pursuit of rare animal sightings, simultaneously wowing guests with their outstanding knowledge and unforgettable stories.
The historical safari dates back to the age when reserves were hunting concessions and value was placed on an animal according to its potential danger when hunted on foot. In today’s safari practice, rifles have been replaced with cameras, and the only shooting we do is to photograph the majesty of animals, birds and trees. Londolozi’s rangers specialise in photographic safaris and, where possible, will position the vehicle for guests to get the best angle for photography. They will also share advice and knowledge where they can so you can capture the moment in all its glory.
Many of Londolozi’s rangers and trackers grew up in this region, living close to the land. This gives them an unmatched knowledge of the terrain, flora and wildlife on the reserve. Londolozi boasts two of only 17 master trackers in South Africa, meaning our game drive experience is truly world class.
Londolozi boasts five exceptional camps – choose from Varty Camp, Founders Camp, Tree Camp, Pioneer Camp or Private Granite. Expect stunning views, exceptional cuisine and thrilling wildlife encounters.
Take a look at the five luxury camps below, and see our Brochures page for a downloadable Londolozi Safari Guide.
Pricing (per person), NZD
|1 Jan – 15 Dec
|Varty Camp – Chalet
|Founders Camp – Superior Chalet
|Tree Camp – Suite
|Pioneer Camp – Suite
|Private Granite – Suite
- Tailor-made journey
- 3 nights’ accommodation
- All meals during your stay (B, L, D)
- Drinks including teas, coffees, soft drinks and a selection of local branded beers & spirits and house wines
- Transfers to/from the Londolozi airstrip
- Game drives, nature walks, and one group yoga class a day
- Cubs Den programme for children
- Sabi Sands Conservation levy, laundry, Wi-Fi, and VAT
- Emergency medical evacuation insurance
- Gratuities and premium beverages
- Entrance fee, landing fees, and noise impact levy
- Please enquire for single, cross-season, long stay (4+ nights) and/or private game drive pricing
- Please also enquire for child (6 to 11 years) pricing at Founders, Pioneer, and Varty Camps
- Please also enquire for pricing for Superior Chalet at Varty Camp and Family and Superior Family Chalet pricing at Founders Camp
- Founders, Pioneer, and Varty Camps have a minimum age requirement of 6 years
- Private Granite Suite and Tree Camp have a minimum age requirement of 16 years
Please refer to World Journeys terms & conditions