The Inca Trail
• Trekking to Machu Picchu with porters and all meals • Incredible scenery • Ancient ruins • Aguas Calientes Market
During this four-day trek you immerse yourself in the Andean world, visiting different archaeological sites while also enjoying nature and a variety of ecosystems.
You’ll enjoy stunning mountain and cloud forest scenery, and explore ruins dating back to Inca times. On the final day of the trek you pass through the famous Sun Gate entrance to the citadel of Machu Picchu – your first glimpse of the ruins from high above will be a memory that will remain with you always.
Day 1 : Cuzco > Huayllabamba
This morning, you will be collected at your Cuzco hotel and transferred Ollantaytambo, where you will have time to do some last-minute shopping before starting your trek. You will then head to Piscacucho community, at Km 82, where you will find the starting point of your excursion. Walking about 3 hours along the Urubamba River, enjoy beautiful landscapes along the route. Arrive at the archaeological ruins of Llaqtapata and enjoy lunch before continuing to your camp at Huayllabamba. Your journey today of five to six hours will cover 12 km.
Day 2 : Huayllabamba > Pacaymayo
After breakfast you will begin to ascend towards the first and highest pass of the Warmiwañusca route (4215 m), from where you will have a spectacular view of the Vilcabamba and Vilcanota mountain ranges. This ascent will take you almost all morning, arriving at Lllulluchapata at lunchtime. After having time to rest and eat, you will continue your walk to Pacaymayo, where the camp will be set up at 3600 m. Your journey today of eight hours will cover 11 km.
Day 3 : Pacaymayo > Winaywayna
Your third day of trekking will begin with an ascent to the second step, Runcuracay, which is a little lower than the first one (4000 m). Then, you will descend for a couple of hours to Phuyupatamarca, where you can rest and have lunch surrounded by beautiful scenery. After lunch, continue your journey to Wiñaywayna, enjoying views of the snowy mountains and the valley as you go. Finally, you will arrive at the area where you will camp, this day is the longest of the entire walk, passing through cloud forests and visiting archaeological sites built by the Incas. Your journey today of nine hours will cover 16 km.
Day 4 : Winaywayna> Machu Picchu > Cuzco
Your last day will start early and with an energetic breakfast. The journey will start towards Inti Punku, or Sun Gate, from where you will have an impressive first glimpse of Machu Picchu. You will walk a little more and you will find yourself inside Machu Picchu, where, after a short break, your guide will explain the history, organization and mysteries of the place. At the end of the almost 2-hour tour, you will board the bus that will take you to the town of Aguas Calientes, where you will have the option of looking around town or having lunch, as you prefer. Then, you will board the train that will take you back to Ollantaytambo station, from where you will be taken back to your hotel.
If you wish, you may add on a night in Aguas Calientes and spend more time exploring the citadel (additional cost).
Pricing (per person), NZD
|1 – 31 Jan, 1 Mar – 31 Dec
|Thursdays - January, and March to December
- Small group tour (maximum 16 guests)
- 3-nights’ accommodation in a tent
- 3 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- English-speaking certified hiking guide
- Support staff including porters and cooks
- Camping equipment including duffle bag, sleeping bag, and mat
- Transfer from your Cuzco hotel to the Inca Trail trailhead
- Inca Trail permit and Machu Picchu entrance ticket
- Transfer from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollyantambo (Vistadome or The 360)
- Transfer from Ollyantambo train station to your Cuzco hotel
- Daypack, trekking poles, and headlamps
- This small group journey is guaranteed to depart with a minimum of 2 guests
- Please see The Inca Trail Private package on our website for private pricing
- We recommend a minimum 2-night stay in Cuzco prior to your trek to acclimatise to the altitude
- Permit numbers are limited to 200 per day; we recommend booking at least 9 months in advance
- Luggage is restricted to 4 kg in the provided duffle bag
Please refer to World Journeys terms & conditions